Liveries & Logos

Rolfey

Hi everyone, not sure if this is where the thread should go.

I am about to start work on a series of fictional racing skins for aircraft and am wondering what the rules are around using existing logos on the aircraft. One example being if I wanted to use the Gulf colours and logos on and aircraft. Would I still be able to upload it to the user files page on the DCS website.

Example

00_Pre_Gordon.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Member of AEF | 161 SQN

3D Modeler, Texture Artist, Designer, Flight Simmer:joystick:

Check out my liveries :http://www.jrolfedesign.com/texture.html

PC Specs:i7 3770k @ 4.3Ghz, EVGA GTX1080ti Black Edition, 16GB Adata XPG 2133Mhz, 1x 128GB SSD [OS and work programs], 1x 240GB SSD [DCS World install], 1x 2TB HDD [Data and games], 1x 500GB HDD [Video recording], VKB Gladiator Joystick

This is an issue that we all need to be mindful of. Essentially due to copyright of any logos etc are not legally entitled to use them without permission whether you are making money from the skins or not. Now, whether any copyright holder would chase you if you did use them I really don't know.

Slightly off beam, but still an example. I was involved with a charity cycle ride this year in aid of a charity set up in memory of a Red Arrow pilot. This charity is recognised by the Red Arrows. The cyclists were RAF pilots and Metropolitan Police officers. I was asked to produce a single fine art print from a photo taken by a RAF pilot who flew with the Reds on their first 9 ship practice. The Hawks were sporting the 50th anniversary tail paint schemes.

I put a small image of the tail and the Eclat crest within the border where the Red Arrow pilots were to sign. When it went for approval we were told to remove the crest and tail image otherwise we could not do the print. Now, both of these things were plain to see on the photo but we were not allowed to use them in the border without a licence. And this was for something where 100% of money raised was going to the charity.

I am not saying DO NOT do it, but be careful.

Thanks for the replies :)

I know what you mean Richard. I'm going ahead with the project but will take the skins down if there are any issues. I have no plans to make money from them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Member of AEF | 161 SQN

3D Modeler, Texture Artist, Designer, Flight Simmer:joystick:

Check out my liveries :http://www.jrolfedesign.com/texture.html

PC Specs:i7 3770k @ 4.3Ghz, EVGA GTX1080ti Black Edition, 16GB Adata XPG 2133Mhz, 1x 128GB SSD [OS and work programs], 1x 240GB SSD [DCS World install], 1x 2TB HDD [Data and games], 1x 500GB HDD [Video recording], VKB Gladiator Joystick