i7 930 vs 4790k for DCS

I'm thinking of updating my computer, but only if I'm going to see better performance in DCS. I currently have i7 930 overclocked to 4.0 ghz, but i'm thinking about getting a 4790k. Would I see a noticeable difference with a 4790k or am I just better of waiting for the Cpu Skylake now? My motherboard is also quite old aswell now been a Gigabyte x58a ud3r, So would a new motherboard make any difference in DCS? Thanks!

Edited by Dudester22

In simplistic terms yes new processor will rule the roost, motherboard is a bottleneck.

http://ark.intel.com/products/41447/Intel-Core-i7-930-Processor-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

there it is for you in black and white. Over to you m8

weeb

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Stick to it, I have all i7 series next to me meanwhile again ( returns from customers ) and my son got a i7 960, my friends run 4970's and I run a 2600k, if you take them to the same GHz and same GFX card the fps are more or less equal = wasted money imho.

I am happy with 4.x GHz on this old i7 2600k that had been slaved as a Master Domain Browser DC in a server rack for years, I think this CPU loves flying instead of logging in users HAHA !!

Wait for cheap DDR 4 prices, the chipset after this 1st DDR4 series and maybe the next i7....

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Stick to it, I have all i7 series next to me meanwhile again ( returns from customers ) and my son got a i7 960, my friends run 4970's and I run a 2600k, if you take them to the same GHz and same GFX card the fps are more or less equal = wasted money imho.

I am happy with 4.x GHz on this old i7 2600k that had been slaved as a Master Domain Browser DC in a server rack for years, I think this CPU loves flying instead of logging in users HAHA !!

Wait for cheap DDR 4 prices, the chipset after this 1st DDR4 series and maybe the next i7....

Bit

I agree completely.

I have been running this i7 920 for about 8yrs. now. After introducing a friend to DCs He upgraded his PC. to the latest and greatest hardware. It gets the same FPs that I get. Remember this is old software is not tuned for newer Instruction sets of the latest CPUs and GPUs. so don't waste the money if all U want is a DCs boost it will not work. Don't forget EDGE is coming and it is for enhancing this older software on newer PCs.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I'm thinking of updating my computer, but only if I'm going to see better performance in DCS. I currently have i7 930 overclocked to 4.0 ghz, but i'm thinking about getting a 4790k. Would I see a noticeable difference with a 4790k or am I just better of waiting for the Cpu Skylake now? My motherboard is also quite old aswell now been a Gigabyte x58a ud3r, So would a new motherboard make any difference in DCS? Thanks!

Sorry Dudester, I went off half cocked there. I was referencing the old motherboard. New memory and boards are around the corner with improved pcie lanes etc. As others stated I would sit tight just now and save your money. Until we find out what DCS 2 is all about and it's capabilities, I for one am not looking at a new build till then. New Year, red wine and forums don't seem to go together m8. All the best. :doh:

weeb

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

I'm in the same boat. I have an i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz.

As far as DCSW 1.xx goes it's not worth it, however for other games the current-gen processors offer a good performance jump clock-per-clock compared to our now very old processors.

If you decide to upgrade right now for other reasons it's worth it already. However... by waiting half a year more you'll be able to squeeze even more performance gain if you skip to the new Skylake architecture. And since nowadays the performance jump from gen to gen is not very significant like it was back in the old days I think it won't hurt to wait since our processors can still do a good job :)

In my case I chose to wait for Skylake.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5