Canopy and FPS

kobalt_

Hi all,

The title may sounds strange, but here is my question : I wonder if MiG-21 pilots around here get a huge FPS drop when their bird has its canopy closed and sealed.

After having many tests and benchmarks, I noticed a large FPS drop when I close the canopy of the MiG-21.

My computer specs are not extreme (i5 2500k, 8gb ram, Geforce 750Ti, on a 21/9 screen), but I usually get a fair FPS rate with the MiG-21 (around 25-30 on ground, 40+ airborne).

For instance, when I spawn in the cockpit, cold startup, I usually get around 35 to 40 FPS rate, depending on where i look.

I start the MiG up, and when I close the canopy, I instantly loose like 10 to 15 FPS.

I did some tests too airborne, I forced the canopy jettison, and then it's a no contest result : my FPS increase by ~50%.

So I'd like to know why this happens ? It feels like the game is applying a graphic filter or something when the canopy is closed, which ruins the frame rate.

There may be a simple explanation, i'm curious.

Thx

As far as I can tell (and I recall from previous experience with LOMAC, FC1, FC2 and FC3) the frame-rate drop happens due to the canopy scratches - the reflections and refraction calculated as the light passes through them are what causes the massive FPS drop.

There is a pair of textures that need to be modified - one contains the scratches, one contains the smudges (mud, dirt, dust on the cockpit). I have tried to edit them, but I don't have a tool to separate the alpha layer which contains the scratches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about canopy, FPS, cabriolet-style :

568846Screen150214093527.jpg

203824Screen150214093659.jpg

No problem flying at 10000" and above without canopy :smartass:

Was able to fly back the bird at airport then.

And still a wide FPS improvement without the canopy (50-80% improvement). Only problem is the noise generated, but i'll deal with that.

uuuhhg, I really gotta fix those flare dispenser location.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Do you have mirrors enabled? Might be related to that, as they are a resource hog.

Same FPS count with or without mirrors enabled...(or difference is barely noticeable)

Mirrors kill FPS with Su-27 for instance, not with the MiG-21's small periscope (at least with my setup).

• 1 month later...

Any news from LS on this matter ?

Do you think the 21's canopy "FX filter" or "FX effect" or whatever you may want to call it could be easily changed with a mod ? Like replacing it with the Su-27 or Su-25 canopy glass ?

Here is a quick recording i made showing this fps drop :

- Ingame resolution is 2560*1080

- the MiG is cold

Please note I recorded this with FRAPS, and this software makes my FPS dropping a lot. But still, it can gives you a good idea of the framerate ratio drop : 28 FPS canopy open (35/36 without FRAPS), 19 FPS canopy closed (about 24/25 without FRAPS).

• 7 months later...

+1:(

Sometimes I have to eject the canopy to gain almost 8/10 frames

Edited by Saigon

Intel I5-8600 3,1GHz. NVIDIA RTX2070 8GB DDR6. 32GB RAM DDR4. SSD 500GB. WIN 10.

Saiteck Rino x55, pedals, panels Switch,Radio,AP.Trackir 5,Leo Bodnar,Voice Attack.

We've already optimized the canopy glass.

The only other solution is to remove the glass entirely, which would very much negatively affect visual fidelity.

This happens mainly if you're using a little weaker GPU. The fillrate is lower, thus performance is more impacted.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Canopy and FPS

660GTX here with 2560x1440rez and canopy glass is no problem. Mig-21 and others run fine.

And this 660 is not top class gpu anymore..

So maybe just time to get new (used?) gpu ?

750 is quite low end gpu, many features removed, its slower even compared to my gtx660

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Haukka81

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]