Wingman clock bearing callouts?

When I am flying with my flight and one of the AI says bandit 2 oclock. I know this is 2 o'clock bearing for the whole formation but once we all break and are maneuvering and one of my AI wingmen says bandit 2 o'clock, I don't know if he means 2 o'clock relative to him or me.

So does anyone know who is the reference point when the AI are calling contacts?

Thanks

I don't know how it is modelled in game, but if you were calling out bandits, would you not reference them to your a/c?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

It is also irrelevant to be calling bandits if you are already engaged. The call would be used for a coherent formation, and therefore it would be at everyone's 2 o'clock.

If you are engaged, then you'd only get break calls if someone spotted you were in immediate danger, or your wingman (who would always be in his proper position naturally) would still be able to use the clock references, but I'd expect any other elements would be involved in their own bun fights.

The only effective calls regarding new contacts would have to use compass points.

Of course, how the AI handle it couldn't possibly be varied according to your situation, so I wouldn't expect them to call anything other than from their own position.

Of course, how the AI handle it couldn't possibly be varied according to your situation

Really? Shouldn't it be simply a matter of having the AI script check to see if its in formation or not? Hell it could even check lead's heading and beyond a given difference from its own ignore clock references in favour of something else.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

More or less something like that.

Checking whether you are in formation or not may or may not be tricky, it really depends.

For example, if you're expecting mutual support, and you're maintaining it, clock calls may be ok, especially in a visual arena (because mutual support, and your wingnut sees you).

More appropriate would be a BRAA call, and possibly own position in some format or another (Eg. bullseye call for yourself plus direction and altitude, status like engaged offensive/defensive, in a right/left turn, turning to a certain heading, etc). It gets complicated because it's highly situational.

It is certainly doable, the question is who's going to do it and when.

Really? Shouldn't it be simply a matter of having the AI script check to see if its in formation or not? Hell it could even check lead's heading and beyond a given difference from its own ignore clock references in favour of something else.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The simplest thing would be for the AI to call o'clock relative to the player but of course it is unrealistic . I just can't tell if that is happening in the game at present.

It would be better IMO if the O'clock calls were for the group in formation and once the formation breaks up the AI starts calling simple compass bearings eg tally bandit SE, for 7, high.

OMG GGTharos you have over 26 thousand posts! My monocle just fell and rolled under the table

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger