Cougar parts & Mods - Cougar / Warthog compatibility

Cougar parts & Mods

I would like to know what the current (early 2015) situation is with Hotas Cougars spares & or Mods is?

After zapping around the net and coming to many dead websites, I've sent some emails but still await response...

I bought my cougar new in 2005 and it's just coming on 10 years old. I dusted it off the other day and set it up to be reminded why I had put it away in the first place.

Classic cougar problems include: X & Y pots are spiking, micro-stick & the wear in the joystick gimbals is now severe.

Cougar / Warthog Hybrid?

I looked at replacing it with a warthog, but I'm not yet sold on the idea and really love my cougar & apart for anything else my simped f-16 pedals, which still work like new, would not work with a warthog (at least I doubt it)

Does anyone know if there is much if any part commonality between the two?

I was wondering the same thing.

I bought one Cougar spare... but the other is still with custom gimbal system (I got it from Galactic Pancaces) and I've replaced the Throttle pot with hall sensor (they are so cheap if you just place the HS between some small magnets (like DIY) I don't understand why they don't do this with all HOTAS?) and I made stick extension (floor mounted) and I STILL LOVE IT

No longer active in DCS...

According to TM website the Cougar & Warthog joystick handles are interchangeable.

I'm thinking about the possibility of ordering the Warthog component that the joystick handle fits into, ie. the ball joint part & splicing that into my Cougar, somehow :) then slapping my compatible cougar handle on top.

That would kill two birds with one stone, dead gimbals and pots.

Other than that;

1. Do you know if the Aussie bloke still does the uber 2 gimbals?

2. Where do I get the Hall sensors from or what are the part number?

Better yet, if cougar grip is compatible with WH base (not an owner), you might want to get FSSB-R3. Rumor has it that its more precise than stock hog.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

FSSB-R3 eh, thanks for the info that most certainly could be an option of interest.

Link for the lazy http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_warthog.html

It sure ain't cheap, but show me something decent that is. From their sales pitch...

"high-precision maneuvers that are impossible without hundreds of training hours, are now made easily, thanks to the smoothness of control in areas close to the neutral position."

...if it's true I guess I could get some joy back from my "floppy flanker (Su-27) :)

Then I realised that I'd need to convert my throttle and pedals to USB as well....when bingo, looking around their site I found all I need for that and more...

...they do this conversion for the Cougar too :)

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb.html

That would just leave my Cougar micro-stick (which while not a game breaker, would be nice to have back) and a Hall Sensor for the throttle.

I just recently purchased the Warthog Flight Stick (no throttle) to use with my Cougar throttle since MicroCenter had them on sale at a decent price. For DCS I have Target program just the Warthog and keep the Cougar separate so that I'm not limited to 8 axes and can use both rudder/brakes and the microstick.

Thankfully DCS makes it somewhat easy to still emulate I/O type functions. I simply used Target to program the S3 button as L_SHIFT. The Cougar I leave "Button and Axis Emulation" off (DX mode). Then in DCS I can assign Cougar DX## buttons as required, but I can also set DCS commands to a L_SHIFT+DX## thereby emulating I/O functionality.

My Cougar joystick gimbal mechanism was completely shot and I had been using a T16000m as primary controller, with the Cougar's throttle. But I really missed having all those switches on the stick. Eventually I ran wires to make my throttle pot plug into the Cougar X-axis and my rudder to plug into the Cougar Y-axis so I could use the higher resolution of those axes.

Edited by doright