79 Cringeworth Top Gun errors

112th_Rossi

It isn't real difficult to figure out if you pick a hard deck of 10,000 feet and you take off from ground level and say you are 30 MILES away from the mountains at takeoff, it is conceivable that once you reach the mountains, your hard deck is no longer valid... The real mistake here was allowing them to fly that close to the mountains in the first place...

I think it is a movie error.

As far as I understand it the "hard deck" is there for dog-fighting specifically, that you don't follow the target down into small arms and AAA range.

So it should always be 10 000ft AGL.

I think...

Hard Deck simulates a low level dogfight without significantly adding the risk of dirt poisoning. The hard deck is the equivalent to the ground, so if you bust 10000ft you just morted.

IRL, you won't give up position or energy on a bandit because you're afraid of a regulation to keep you out of small-arms range. You fight the bandit (hopefully) in front of you, then get yourself back in the big picture after the fight.

EDIT: BTW, I also enjoy Ward Carroll's fiction. His 'Punk' series is outstanding.