Throttle axis not working until keyboard used once

Rongor

I put the Huey throttle on left throttle lever of my TM HOTAS WT. Since some time I am unable to use the axis until I used the identical keyboard commands PgUp and PgDn first to twist the throttle fully open and closed a single time. Only afterwards my throttle axis produces response.

It is quite annoying to have to use the mouse or the PgUp/PgDn keys first to "unlock" the identical controls.

While you're on the "off" side of the throttle detent your axis is disabled, for lack of a better term. This is intentional, you need manually move it with the mouse or use a keyboard binding. I just drag it with my mouse when I start up, for shutdown I have the TM:WH left throttle full back and out of detent "button" set to the throttle down key binding.

Edited by b00ce

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Why is PgUp working then? If the stop detent is preventing the twist grip from turning, it shouldn't matter which binding I try.

Since PgUp is working and the throttle binding isn't, we face a binding problem here. Although addressed with the same function, PgUp(+PgDn) don't deliver the same functionality as the lever.

Why is PgUp working then? If the stop detent is preventing the twist grip from turning, it shouldn't matter which binding I try.

Since PgUp is working and the throttle binding isn't, we face a binding problem here. Although addressed with the same function, PgUp(+PgDn) don't deliver the same functionality as the lever.

I stated the exact same thing the last time this thread came up. People who didn't bother to look at the problem shouted me down and said it was normal.

It makes zero sense. It's bugged.

All bindings to the throttle should be unable to move the throttle until the idle cutoff button is pushed, whereupon the throttle should become free. That simply isn't the case right now.

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

The idle stop only prevents you from turning the throttle down below idle, it does not prevent you from increasing throttle. The axis range for the throttle is from idle to 100%. Below idle is keybinds and dragging the throttle manually. This is intended functionality by Belsimtek.

Hey, I having the same problem with my joystick slider, I keep setting to slider but all get is a Z axis. The slider did not work in my DCS A10C, KA50-2, or UH-1. All I can do is use the + or - keys which is not a accurate throttle movements

Edited by Nicolq Craig

The idle stop only prevents you from turning the throttle down below idle, it does not prevent you from increasing throttle. The axis range for the throttle is from idle to 100%. Below idle is keybinds and dragging the throttle manually. This is intended functionality by Belsimtek.

I agree with you, the idle stop detent should prevent the twist grip being turned back to off. That is indeed its important purpose.

So then you agree we have a bug here because I am addressing the situation where I want to turn the twist grip to max open in its initial move out of the off postition. This works with PgUp (and the mouse), but not with the slider binding.

Edited by Rongor

I agree with you, the idle stop detent should prevent the twist grip being turned back to off. That is indeed its important purpose.

So then you agree we have a bug here because I am addressing the situation where I want to turn the twist grip to max open in its initial move out of the off postition. This works with PgUp (and the mouse), but not with the slider binding.

The axis control is designed to be from Idle to Fly. The Axis is not intended to go below the idle stop.

When everyone keeps reporting the intended functionality as a bug, it would be wise for developers to re-consider their intended functionality.

UI consistency is important, and this behavior is highly inconsistent.

Two controls labeled and bound to exactly the same behavior should not have wildly different modes of operation.

Practice makes perfect.

Because 3 people think something is a bug, doesn´t mean it is a bug.

Just think for a moment about the current implementation.

What do you need the throttle for?

If everything is fine you need it for start up. After that you open it completely and don´t need it until shut down.

But when the Governor is set to emergency, you need to control rotor rpm by controling the throttle.

And it does make sense to convert 100% of joystick movement to the throttle position between idle stop and full open. This approach increases the precision for the throttle control. So no precious joystick travel is wasted for unnecessary 0%-57%Ng throttle-movement.

Btw, the Sabre and Dora have a similar "bug".

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Actually, the sabre takes advantage of the TM warthogs built in idle/off detent, and has consistent operation. Like the Huey should.

I set my throttle off detent on the WH to being the throttle down keybind. So it is an option, you just need to remember to hit the idle detent switch first... I also have that little red button on the left throttle as my throttle up button, not that I ever use either of them because the only time where they're useful is when I'm already looking around the cockpit and flipping switches manually. :music_whistling:

• 5 years later...

OMG this is actually they way it is supposed to work?!?

In the AV-8B-NA Harrier the throttle is even more complex and RAZBAM has made it work logically without forcing the virtual pilot to the keyboard to move the throttle, when I already have it mapped to a throttle-lever axis.

Harrier:

• You cannot move the (in-cockpit) throttle from 'Stop' to 'Idle' without operating the sim's throttle-finger-lift. In RL the throttle-finger-lift is spring loaded holding it in the downward position. The finger-lift has a cutout in its stem. The finger-lift is mounted with a rail inside the cutout so that the finger-lift cutout slides along the rail. Toward the 'Idle' position of the throttle, the rail has a wedge shape which causes a resistance (sloped side of the rail-detent)  while advancing which indicates to the pilot that he is nearing the 'Idle' position, but conversely stops him from decreasing the throttle to 'Stop' once the throttle as been advanced to 'Idle' (detent side of the rail-detent) without lifting the throttle-finger-lift over the detent.
  • In-Game you must operate your mapped throttle-finger-lift to advance the throttle to 'Idle' or decrease it to 'Stop'.
    - In-Game-Throttle is at 'Stop': [operate throttle-finger-lift] ->In-Cockpit-Throttle advances to 'Idle'.
    - In-Game-Throttle is at 'Idle': [operate throttle-finger-lift] ->In-Cockpit-Throttle regresses to 'Stop'.
  • Additionally, in RL to advance the throttle past 'Idle', you must release the parking brake first. The parking brake lever has a physical stop preventing the throttle from advancing past it. In-Game if you haven't release the parking brake, you can push your controller throttle-lever anywhere you want, but the In-Cockpit lever will not move.
  • Once the parking brake lever is released your controller-throttle-lever and the In-Cockpit-Throttle-Lever are synchronized again, and advancing an decreasing the controller lever will mirror the same motion in-cockpit.

So if RAZBAM can do all that in the Harrier, Belsimtek can certainly do half the same thing (Idle/Stop side) in the Huey. I'm sure you don't want to let RAZBAM make you look bad, right?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1