Confused about radar limits

WildBillKelsoe

According to the manual:

"The Sapphire’s antennae can’t be manually moved up-down or left-

right like in modern fighters. Instead, it will scan ±30° in azimuth, and -1.5° and +17° in elevation, searching for any targets at a maximum of 30 km distance."

For azimuth ok, I get it total 60°, 30° to each side. But for elevation, if I put a target at 30 km flying at 104000 meters (!!!!), does that mean I will detect it (even briefly, say its a helicopter in hover)?

This means that in a right angled triangle apex at nose , the altitude difference is tan (17) x 30 km = 104 km, and this is pretty weird.

Or I could be wrong.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

This means that in a right angled triangle apex at nose , the altitude difference is tan (17) x 30 km = 104 km, and this is pretty weird.

Or I could be wrong.

No, the tangent of 17° is 0.305. 0.305 multiplied by 30km is 9.17km.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

So its not an exact right angled triangle. Thanks John.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

So its not an exact right angled triangle.

Yeah, the radar scan zone looks somewhat like that:

attachment.php?attachmentid=115965&stc=1&d=1428192541

Note: Excuse my paint skills! Too late to bother booting up Photoshop...

Basically the red shaded area is the theoretical scan zone. The blue part resembles a zone that mathematically is further than 30km away from the radar, and therefore outside the radar range.

The orange arrow would be the highest point with 9,17km, however that would be outside of the scan zone. I guess it probably would come down to about 8,5km to be within the scan zone.

But all that is theoretically speaking. Given how vintage the radar is, I don't think my simple mathematics and drawings will apply. :D

EDIT: Angle in the drawing should be 17° not 30°.

MiG-21RadarPattern.png.38b4f19d44e901e48249f8fda1a0de99.png

Edited by xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

You sad it right John but draw the triangle with 30 degrees instead of 17 :)

Oh, yeah, I confused that. Thank you for the correction! :thumbup:

Thanks for the illustration. So its a pie not a triangle.

• 2 months later...

DEar all..

I trying to use and practice with Mig 21 radar..

And one Qeustion

30 km range are real??

Cause i do some practice missions with labels.. and never detect another aircraft more taht 7-9 Nm away

B-52 -- 7NM

F-5 6 NM

C-130 8 Nm..

I warmed the radar, and follow the correct steps..

It´s a Bug? it´s normal work? It´s pilot error?

Thanks in advance

I think LN waiting for ED to implement W2.0 then we'll see a plethora of improvements. I think target aspect angle also plays part. If the target AOT is 90 degrees (crossing left to right) it is more difficult than a pure pursuit target.