What happened to the FM in 1.5??

BadHabit

I am not good with numbers and technical stuff but yeah, a high speed roll could lead you to a pretty ugly roll spin, pilot goes blacked out and you would be lucky to recover if you are high enough...The constant roll would cause more drag and as the speed gets slower the pilot might recover..

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

So glad that I have the BRD-DS nonFF stick, I can fly the Mig (and the other planes) on the edge of the envelope all day long without stalling!tongue.gif

[ATTACH]123183[/ATTACH]

Wow, that´s a nice one! I have several real sticks but I´m too lazy to mod some of them so I went for the easy road and bought a Rhino.tongue.gif

About the FM behavior I think that it should not depart that easy and also the recovery should not be too hard. If someone has the real life flight manual, find the section about spins and stalls, it´s explained very well there. (I have had the same experience as Black Lion213 though, I can enter and exit stalls and spins without problem, but I guess it´s true that it´s a bit oversensitive)

If I found some time tomorrow I will post something about it.

Edited by OverStratos

This is how the aircraft behave in real life, just compare with the sim:

The MiG-21 is prone to enter a spin when airspeed falls below 450km/h and if the pilot is "pulling the stick too hard" (exceeding permissible AoA), and also "applying rudder" during a hard turn or loop maneuver. The aircraft usually enter the spin in the direction the rudder is applied.

This is followed by oscillations in the three axis (right spin is more unstable than left spin) and the rotation of the ac around its longitudinal axis.

The spin is detected by the start of this oscillations, and by putting the controls in their neutral position the spin can be avoided.

If the spin starts whatsoever, what you should do:

1) Keep the throttle were it is.

2) Disconnect the autopilot.

3) Put controls in neutral.

The aircraft must stabilize after a turn (3-4 seconds) loosing about 2000-2800m in the process.

4) Continue the dive with AoA not exceeding 15º until IAS=450km/h.

5) Move the throttle to max. while starting to climb with an AoA not exceeding 20º.

What you should NOT do:

1) Move the stick forward. (spin degenerates into inverted spin)

2) Move the throttle to max. or AB. (engine can auto-disconnect)

3) Move any control.

Inverted spins can be exited as well by using the same procedures, but in this case you will loose about 3000-4000m (4-6 sec), so keep that in mind.

If in a hurry and if speed is below 320km/h, you can use the braking chute (it´s not advisable to use it above 11 000m), in which case after deployed and when turning stops, detach the chute and follow the above instructions.

Spins are a no issue at supersonic speeds. (auto-rotation is)

There´re more instructions and procedures, but I think this is enough.:)

one of my guys noticed change of landing speed. We were usually landing between 380/350 kph, with stall happening at 320 - now he can land as low as 300 without issue.

That did not changed at all, maybe he got better at landing.

And 380kph is 50kph above max. landing speed with normaly operating flaps and BLC.

Its possible to land at speeds as low as 270km/h with BLC and full flaps. Only problem is that you can't see the runway due to high AoA before touchdown.

In the sim, sure. You can land outside down and still walk out alive.

In real life you want to be already on the ground at that speed.

one of my guys noticed change of landing speed. We were usually landing between 380/350 kph, with stall happening at 320 - now he can land as low as 300 without issue.

I also didnt notice any difference in landing configuration with DCS 1.5.

It seems your landing with overweight or not looking at your AoA indicator.

I suggest you read the manual for the charts, check your weight, speed and Angle of Attack (AoA). Keep your engine running above 60% until touch down for BLC to work.

Basically you should be landing with less than 700 L of fuel and no heavy payload. I think 1000 L or 1200L of internal fuel is the max. allowed weight for a clean plane, maybe even less.

On final, with a light plane and light wind, you should fly over the inner beacon at around 350 km/h and a AoA of about 8 degrees. Flair at about 280-310 km/h and touch down at 270-300 km/h.

As landing speed is not constant and increases with weight, you can use AoA indicator for precise landing. Specially if you are exceeding weight limits. I usually keep about 8 degrees of AoA on final (and 4-8 m/s vertical speed) and use 10-13 degrees AoA for the flair for a smooth touch down at almost 0 vertical speed.

If I recall well, the real Mig 21 manual sugest an approach at 4-6 AoA (base) and 7-8 AoA (initial part of final). On final AoA should be increased to 10-13 AoA, which will lower to 9-10 degrees when BLC kicks in, after that you should lower your speed to gain again 10-13 AoA.

I find approaching at 10-13 AoA is a little bit to high, but perfectly doable. I don't know if I doing the landing by the book but I prefer to approach at 8-10 AoA. Take notice that AoA indicator might not be working in DCS exactely like in the real plane.(AoA not being steady above 500 km/h IAS, flying level with negative AoA at high speed, etc.)

A good way to practice IMO is to make a mission with a Mi-21 with 20% unlimited internal fuel just on final of a long runway like Mineraly Vody. Start approaching at the right speed and flairing a few meters above the runway without touching down and keeping the plane steady on the flair for a while, play a little with AoA, throttle, speed and VS, then fly around and do it again. When you have mastered the flair start doing touch and goes letting the plane touch down very, very slowly without caring where you touch down, just do it very smoothly, you have a very long runway. When you have mastered a smooth touch down at the correct speed start practicing to touch down at a specific part of the runway. After that you can add weight and wind, turbulence and low visibility for a better challenge.

Edited by JorgeIII

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.