Some Sound files not saved in conversions

MadDog-IC

When converting from old DCSW v1.2.16 or earlier missions to OB v1.5

• Triggers set to play "sound to all" command, the sound files that are associated with those commands seem to be listed ok in the ME but some will not play at all if the play button is pressed. The ones that don't play will not save the associated sound files into the new mission format when the Mission Editor saves.
  • Reloading the non playing sound file for the command may of may not fix the issue, more often not.
  • Sound files in .wav format and play fine in external players.

ie:

Used mission: all sorts as test

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

When converting from old DCSW v1.2.16 or earlier missions to OB v1.5

• Triggers set to play "sound to all" command, the sound files that are associated with those commands seem to be listed ok in the ME but some will not play at all if the play button is pressed. The ones that don't play will not save the associated sound files into the new mission format when the Mission Editor saves.
  • Reloading the non playing sound file for the command may of may not fix the issue, more often not.
  • Sound files in .wav format and play fine in external players.

ie:

Used mission: all sorts as test

Can you post a mission file from 1.2 that has this issue when you convert it?

Place the sound files in your saved games/DCSopenbeta folder. Have you tried that yet?

Dude, why do you keep suggesting that? Sound files used by missions are only embedded into the miz file itself, the location of the file on your hard drive does not influence it at all.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

For your pleasure, I have attached an original 1.216 campaign file and the same file loaded into DCSW 1.5x and resaved out with no modifications.

I have also uploaded:

• A file by file comparision of both mission files when compared taking into account the different structures, highlighting just some of the missing sound and image files in the original 1.216 version.
  • A partial file by file size of the originals on left side and converted on the right.

The "F-15c an eye for an eye" campaign missions seemed to convert the first 5 missions ok, but from mission 6 to 12 are all missing some sounds (about half) and some briefing pictures.

Over all on my list of campaigns, you can see the significant file size reduction on the more complex 1.216 campaign mission when converted, but the smaller missions such as OP Jackal are very close to the original size when converted as they are not losing any sounds or briefing pictures.

Might mention also:

• When saving the problem missions to 1.5x format, it saves, but when I go to load another mission or exit the ME, I get the do you want to save your mission (Yes, No, Cancel), It will not let me out unless I say NO or Cancel.
  • Also noticed I can't look inside some .miz files with zip viewer, when I have a mission loaded in the ME, funny thing it isn't the same mission I am trying to open in .miz viewer. I can close the ME and still can't open the .miz file directly until I completely shutdown DCSW 1.5x.

Thank you for your time on this, as it has me baffled at the moment.

Regards, Ian.

1710850940_dcscampaignlist2.thumb.PNG.b63269e19d95f519c67957758a5ebae7.PNG

848327529_dcscampaignlist1.thumb.PNG.51aebab0ef814388fdd29ef12a79aa06.PNG

Edited by MadDog-IC
File saving issue

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hmmm, well there are lua errors generated from the mission editor upon saving. I can't quite pin down why it is causing the error though. I am reporting this.

Dude, why do you keep suggesting that? Sound files used by missions are only embedded into the miz file itself, the location of the file on your hard drive does not influence it at all.

When sound files are first introduced to a mission they must be placed in the saved games folder then loaded to the miz file from there. As an example, I had a mission that worked fine in the previous build but the sound files would not play in 1.5. I copied the original sound files to my saved games/dcs openbeta folder thinking I may have to reload them one by one but soon found that simply by having them available they played as intended when tested in the 1.5 ME as well as the mission itself. What could it hurt to try?

Blooze:

I welcome all types of work arounds / solutions and I thank you for your reply.

Thinking out side the box or trying something that makes absolutely no sense is in my nature.

I did try your solution, along with some other wacky ways to fix the issue, I have always loaded sound files from any of my various hard drives without problem.

But as it stands at the moment this not being able to upgrade all the mission I maintain to DCSW OB 1.5x without extensive testing and manual corrections has to be overcome before I can see myself playing v1.5x exclusively.

Looking at my attached part Dcs.log and confirmation by Grimes shows there are lua errors with the conversion of missions to the new file format of OB v1.5x.

Grimes: Thanks again hope ED team can sort it out ASAP

Kind Regards, Ian.

dcs_log.txt

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

Blooze:

I welcome all types of work arounds / solutions and I thank you for your reply.

Thinking out side the box or trying something that makes absolutely no sense is in my nature.

I did try your solution, along with some other wacky ways to fix the issue, I have always loaded sound files from any of my various hard drives without problem.

But as it stands at the moment this not being able to upgrade all the mission I maintain to DCSW OB 1.5x without extensive testing and manual corrections has to be overcome before I can see myself playing v1.5x exclusively.

Looking at my attached part Dcs.log and confirmation by Grimes shows there are lua errors with the conversion of missions to the new file format of OB v1.5x.

Grimes: Thanks again hope ED team can sort it out ASAP

Kind Regards, Ian.

Hopefully a patch will come soon to resolve these issues.

I have similar issue not being able to save sound files correctly in the editor. I select the correct ones in editor but if I save the mission and check again it selects incorrect sound file in the triggers I just set. It seems to me like some indexing issue or something. The triggers simply show incorrect sound file selected after load - one that wasn't selected for that trigger but for different one. It's quite weird.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I have similar issue not being able to save sound files correctly in the editor. I select the correct ones in editor but if I save the mission and check again it selects incorrect sound file in the triggers I just set. It seems to me like some indexing issue or something. The triggers simply show incorrect sound file selected after load - one that wasn't selected for that trigger but for different one. It's quite weird.

Do you have a mission file that I could test it with to see if it is the same issue or not?

Do you have a mission file that I could test it with to see if it is the same issue or not?

You can try this one. Unfortunately I removed the sound triggers already however I noticed that even though the mission file now should not contain any sound files anymore (as the corresponding trigger actions were removed) the zip still contains two of them. They stay there even if I re-save the mission under new name (creating a fresh file). So it seems that the mission is not being correctly saved and those two wav files remain inside the zip for some reason. And if I recall correctly these are the two files that were causing me the problems. So this must be related to the issue. Take a look.

PS: I also noticed that when I actually try to fly this mission (normally when creating I just gave myself a radio action to set the flag that sets the attack in motion so I don't have to fly on station to see how it goes) I always get a crash (tried 3 times) when the attack is spawned, but that's another topic. Logs attached.

A10C - SUKHUMI CAS 1300.miz

Logs.zip

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Yeah, that is very strange indeed. I can't find a reference to any of those files in the mission file at all.

Yeah, that is very strange indeed. I can't find a reference to any of those files in the mission file at all.

Btw: now that I think about it a similar thing happened to me when selecting briefing pictures once in a different mission. I selected them in mission editor but then after opening the mission in multiplayer it just showed the first one of them as blank (blue square instead of the picture) which was weird. I didn't give it a second thought until now and I just deleted them and added them again in the mission editor and they were fine since then (but I also didn't mess with them anymore). But it may be related as it also involves handling external files inside the zip.

PS: I do often manually open the miz file and update it's contents for example when updating the included lua scripts. If I change those scripts I don't manually delete them within the editor and add the DO SCRIPT FILE trigger again because it's too much work if I have many scripts (which I often do). I simply open the miz file in total commander and replace the existing scripts directly, then reopen and resave the mission in the editor. It always worked fine prior to 1.5. Never had an issue like this.

This is the mission that had the picture issue, although now it is ok:

BLACKSEA - TRAINING PLAYGROUND.miz

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried it on two completely different computers (Win 8.1), with the same failed results.

The issue is that in the process of resaving out to the new format, it causes a LUA script error and doesn't complete the save properly (as Grimes has found).

Symptoms are:

• Sound and Picture files will be missing from the missions .miz file, the new .miz file is not the same size or slightly smaller than the old 1.216 .miz file
  • Straight after save, all the Units names change to the "DictKey_GroupName_xxx" format naming, hence why the editor thinks the mission needs saving on exit or loading of another mission, if you save a second time, you have totally destroyed the mission and mission .miz file.

DCS Tech Support.

Hmmm, well there are lua errors generated from the mission editor upon saving. I can't quite pin down why it is causing the error though. I am reporting this.

At last I have figured it out, applied the fix to 5 or 6 missions of the F-15 Eye for an Eye campaign with my issue and it has fixed all of them, with no lua error on conversion.

Still may drop a file or more, but that seems to be either the files were injected manually and have no calling trigger function in mission, or they belong to custom lua scripting.

Solution:

• Load up an old dcsw v1.2x Mission
  • Go to the Triggers Section of mission and at the very bottom of page were it has "Initialize Script" with the Open + Reset buttons and check if the CODE box is highlighted in GREY, will not have any code there, if it is GREY and NOT BLACK then press the RESET button to make it go black and clear it.
  • Now select Save AS to save mission to new DCSW 1.5x file format and it should save all work as it should.
  • Close ME or load the next mission and repeat, you will not get the save mission prompt again as before. You will also not get the renaming of all units to "Dictionary_Unit"

Regards, Ian.

131690972_DCSWNotSavingMissionProperlyFix.thumb.jpg.9c4823cfc100c20a5c8a054e2071ca45.jpg

dcs converted eye for an eye_log.txt

Edited by MadDog-IC
forgot pictures

DCS Tech Support.