Archer's first kill

Yay! Today I got my first "real" air-to-air kill! I'd already shot down some B-1B's and some (unarmed) F-5's, but today I accualy shot down an armed Su-27 with a Su-33. It started well into BVR then turned into a kind of dogfight inbetween shaking missiles.

As soon as I started mission an enemy fighter got a lock-on and my warning-thing in the cockpit went mad with the lock-on tone. I hadn't even switched to BVR but I guessed that I wasn't gonna die yet 'cause he couldn't shoot yet (Still to far away). I switched to BVR and turned radar up to 256 (I think) KM. He showed up but I couldn't lock hi mthis far so I began to wait till he showed up in my 1xx radar mode. I climbed up on burner (He was quite a bit higher than me) and as soon as he got on my radar I got a lock on. Still climbing I waited for LA. As soon as it came I fired 1 of my 6 long range (110km) missiles. I wasn't expecting any of them to accualy hit, but it would make him turn and forget about attacking me. A few seconds after I launched again and kept doing this. (From my previous experience firing 2 missiles at once is useless because it only takes one to kill and you're pretty much just wasting one.)

Apparently the missiles did what they were supposed to do but none hit, and unluckily for me we were closing fast and it was his turn to fire! Again from my previous experience I slowly turned 90 degrees and gently (I was going pretty fast) dived to give the missile a hard time. Also dropped some countermeasures at various distances (I don't know the right distance for dropping them) It worked: The missile tracked fine in the beginning but at about 5km it was clear that it wasn't doing it's best, and at 3 it went wide. Still came pretty close and spooked me, though. I turned towards him and (excuse any inaccuracies in relation to the result pic, I can't remember perfectly) launched a -ET at him, still in BVR (my favorite missile, always loved it and probably always will, shame I can only carry 2 though).

While the missile was flying he launched again, and this time I didn't have as much height/speed as before. Once again I turned 90 degrees (sideways) from him and dived, this time a lot more steeply than before. I traded my height for speed and hoped to outrun it by making it cover a lot of distance. This part really spooked me: It was tracking fine and this time I was SURE I was going to go down. I launched CM's like a nut, and that saved me, along with the speed I was going. It tracked right towards me and if I was gong any slower would have hit, I think it got distracted my a chaff aswell. That thing came so close, I wish I had a screenie but you'll just have to believe me. =p

I turned up towards him, switched to boresight, and launched my second and last -ET at him, this one did the trick. At this point I got distracted my something (can't remember what) and couldn't see the whole flight: But I looked back and saw it impact and a smoketrail from the Su-27 and I knew it hit- yay!

Main reason I posted this was, if you have any suggestions to what I could've done better. I didn't use jammer because I didn't understand it too well and was afraid he would home on that or it would be used against me. Also didn't know the distance when to use chaff/flare. Also, the enemy gt a lock-on really fast, right after game started, while I had to wait till he came into the 100-km range. Are the radars different, or does the warning display mean something else?

Some screenies:

firstkill18oz.jpg

The "almost perfect landing"

soclose8ku.jpg

firstkill26jy.jpg

That's the baddie. Owned.

firstkillfinish6zz.jpgHeading towards a runway, that's what I was left with.

firstkill3oi.jpgThose are the ending stats, I didn't catch the landing (Pretty confident I could, and with everything on high my system screws up a bit near the ground.)

soclose8ku.jpg

Some advices that probably someone would correcto or improve:

1.- Too many missiles wasted. Remember that when you get the first LA, that is the max launch range, specially with the EM missile, BUT this range still is too far, a simple manouver will outrun the missile. Just wait a little longer (aprouch some more mile), and that way you will give more energy to the missile, and improve his ability to manouver and so his hiting probability. Thus, you will save misiles

2.- It is ok to climb, but remember that tracking in a look down aspect has less posibilities to give you a hit that a tracking from a look up aspect (look down means you are locking the enemy froma higher altitude, look up mean you are tracking the enemy from a lower altitud) Why is this way? Weel (correct me soemone if Im wrong please) but this is mainly because of ground noise: the pulses from the radar are somehow interfered but rebound signals from the ground, so, if you track from below the enemy, you avoid this noise and so the missile head can track with less "decoys" going around.

3.- ECM: be carefull with this. You can use it at BVR, but be carefull if the enemy louch some mad dog that will use your ecm signal to track you.It is usefull for me to use ecm to avoid the enemy to know my altitud and speed data at BVR, but as the fight keeps going, I turn it off to avoid some mad dog following my signal

4.-Im my experience, chaf and flares are usefull when you stimates that the incoming missiles is about 5 or less miles from you

5.- Whenever you can, save a track . That way, later you can replay the mision and see what could you have done better, and so you will learn from your own experience.

I hope this date helps you somehow in the future, cheers!

1.-

Well, I didn't expect any would hit, but I figured if you have a missile coming towards you, you would be more likley to turn and break lock and at least delay the firing a bit. I'm pretty sure I could have used fewer, though. I'll keep that in mind.

2.-

I didn't remember this, since I was well into BVR I thought by going up I would give my missles more range. I didn't consider tracking might be screwed.

3.-

That makes sense. Once I hotkey my ECM (lol) I'll be careful with that. What to do if theres more than 1 aircraft in the air? I'm guessing they would communicate with each other and both yould know where you were, but if you're into a dogfight with one and another is looking for you, what to do?

4.-

Alright. If you drop when missle(s) are too far away, will it accualy HELP the missile track you?

5.- Once I stop looking like a rabid pit bull in the cockpit, I might =p

And accualy I know how to land (I just didn't cause I was a bit eager to see the stats and my approach was pretty "landable") because I have previous experience in flight sims/real life aircraft, it's just that I'm new to the "combat" part. This radar thing cofuses me.

It would be funny to hear the enimie's view of things:

"Ziz madman, ze dropz zis chaffz and flarez like there is beink no tommoro. Zen he launchez all zese missiles and I eject in fear"

And I'd love to go online but I can't find the join game button, I only know how to set up servers. =p

soclose8ku.jpg