Seem impossible to survive fight

jfri

I have tried the instant action and the two missions. In all cases I fail in this way. When I get close to where I can release weapons I get radar warnings. I turn on ECM and release flares and chaffs. Usually before or just at the point where I should fire I'm shoot down. I have tried several approaches. Approaching from different altitudes and directions. Using different weapons. Attacking different targets in the first run. Still I never succeed to even score one single hit.

Show us some tracks so we can see what errors you make.

For the first instant action mission, I go about like this:

First group is undefended. Take them out with guns or unguided rockets.

Second group is defended by AK-74 infantry and is almost harmless. Dropping a GBU-38 at the exact location of the waypoint will take out all the infantry. Finish off the vehicles with guns or unguided rockets if they survived the bomb.

Third group is the bridge, and it's defended by an ZSU-23 which is an AAA unit. Avoid it by simply climbing to at least 10 000ft and drop your other GBU-38 on the bridge.

Fourth group is a bunch of tanks guarded by a Strela and a ZSU-23. Climbing to 15 000ft puts you out of range for both of these air defence systems, but you can stay at 10 000ft and safely take out the Strela with a Maverick while approaching the area. It's the vehicle farthest to the left (east). Take out the rest of the vehicles with GBU-12's and Mavericks.

The last group is defended by ZSU-23 which sounds easy to defeat but the challenge here is that you are running low on weapons and the targets are moving. I will let you figure out this one for yourself.

It's important to know what your going up against and know the strengths and weaknesses of those systems so you can exploit their weaknesses.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about A-10C so the mission I used as an example will not be the same mission you see when flying the A-10A, but still, there's probably a thing or two you might learn from it.

The A-10A instant action you're doing is the one with the tanks, BMPs etc advancing on some friendly vehicles, correct?

I've never beaten that one either. Taking down the Shilka AAA is easy enough (just tell your wingman to attack air defenses), but the BMP-2s make flying at altitudes below their max slant range of ~4km impossible.

There also seems to be quite a bit of wind- it messes up your CBU drops rather severely.

I made it once. Key is do bring down the two choppers first (I'll take them out with two mavs :music_whistling: ) than I take care of the shilka. Order your wingman to engage the bmp (attack my target?, don't know the exact command)

The battletanks are no threat to you, but the bmp aim better than the shilka for some stupid reason. AI wingman does a good job with CBUs and your own ground forces will survive much longer when the choppers are down.

or go to mission editor and change your loadout to something more usefull :pilotfly:

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

The A-10A instant action you're doing is the one with the tanks, BMPs etc advancing on some friendly vehicles, correct?

I've never beaten that one either. Taking down the Shilka AAA is easy enough (just tell your wingman to attack air defenses), but the BMP-2s make flying at altitudes below their max slant range of ~4km impossible.

There also seems to be quite a bit of wind- it messes up your CBU drops rather severely.

My reason for trying out the A -10A was that expected something easier than the A- 10C. Maybe a mistake and my time would be better spent on the A 10C even though it has more complex systems.

I made it once. Key is do bring down the two choppers first (I'll take them out with two mavs :music_whistling: ) :pilotfly:

Taking out choppers with Mavericks how realistic is that. i'm curious if this could be done with the A 10C also ?

Taking out choppers with Mavericks how realistic is that.

I don't know specifically, but a F-15E once bombed a Mi-24 in mid air with a LGB. In real life, if a weapon can track the target, it probably has a chance at hitting it even if it's not the ideal or usual weapon for that situation.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Taking out choppers with Mavericks how realistic is that. i'm curious if this could be done with the A 10C also ?

Yes you can take out helicopters with them on the A10C. you can even take out Su25T's with them. You can also lock them onto other planes but it typically won't catch them.

Check my F-15C guide