Distance from waypoint to target (AI not attacking target)

Trailer

What is the distance between an aircraft's waypoint and target in order for them to complete their task? I've noticed that if I'm setting a strike aircraft to attack, say, a radar site and I don't put the waypoint near the target, even if I have the target group assigned it won't attack the target and will just RTB.

Is there a minimum distance between the waypoint and the target that the waypoint must be in order for the AI to follow its mission parameters?

Not that I know of, although AI sometimes does that. Although it is true that Advanced Waypoint Actions tend to work better than Triggered actions. I realize I didn't help too much here, my advice is to just experiment with the best setting and then implement it in the mission. I usually have a second, testing copy of a mission where I can quickly change flags to access the part I want to check out without having to go through everything.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

If you don't give them enough space, they tend to circle around and make an attack run, it takes forever though. Try giving them the attack command 20-25 miles out.

Also, make sure the Reaction to Threat setting isn't interfering with things. If the AI feels threatened by something (like radar) and "Allow abort mission" is on, they will abort.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files