Locking target in funnel mode

escaner

I am having a hard time locking targets in funnel mode to go to LCOS. Sometimes I can get a lock, but most of the time I can't.

What is the locking region?

Do I need to repeatedly press the lock button or I can keep it pressed?

I assume I need radar on, is that right?

Any other thing I might be missing?

Thank's!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Read pages 63 - 65 of the Su-27 flight manual. Funnel mode doesn't use either a radar or EOS lock. If you have a bandit locked using either the radar or the EOS system, when you activate (not fire) the cannon the HUD will automatically enter LCOS mode.

If you lose lock it's necessary to regain it using one of the radar or EOS modes (probably vertical scan or helmet modes) and when you do the HUD will again show the LCOS gun site. The funnel mode is only for use when you can't achieve a lock with radar or EOS and even then can only be used accurately from rear of the target.

Hope this helps...

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

You can turn the radar or EO on in funnel and go to LCOS, though. That is what he's asking about, I think...

Ah yes, could be I misunderstood. In this situation, to answer one of the original questions, neither the radar nor the EOS will auto-lock, you'll need to do it manually. It can take a second or two for either system to achieve a lock which can be difficult against a highly manoeuvrable target.

Edited to add: the fact that it's possible to turn on the radar or EOS and lock a target to change to LCOS mode needs to be added to the Su-27 flight manual. One of the few features that's missing from the manual at the moment.

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Yes that is what I was asking. :)

Most of the time I could not get a lock from funnel mode on an F-15. I then tried agains a S-3 and it was pretty simple. It is just that the system has problem with manouevering targets as you say or you need to keep the target in some place relative to you or something?

It is strange, as getting the lock in VS or helmet modes is much easier, so I assume that I am missing something or doing something wrong...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you have to select your desired search mode before... in other words... you have to press either 3 or for 4 and then the gun funnel mode ©.. For example: If you have pressed 3 and then c you will be able to lock target same as in vertical serach mode.

Edit: Also works in BVR (2) mode of course.. as long as your cursor is on the target. Same goes for CAC mode.. As long as your target is in the circle you will a achieve a lock in the gun funnel mode.. See it like this way :you switch to gun funnel but in the background your last search mode is still active and determines on how you will lock the target

Edited by holimoli
  • Like 1

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

That is true, holimoli, it works! :) Looks like you can even move the helmet sight and boresight area without seeing it, bit I mostly lose track of it lol.

Still VS seems the most useful.

Thank's a lot!!!

BTW, I don't think this is working as intended, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes most of the time I use "VS-locking" or just shoot in gun funnel mode...and I always pre set the funnel/wingspan before i enter a gunfight..just in case..you never know...

Dunno if thats intended or how the real system works.. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the real SU-27 could give us some insights :)

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП