Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Important Notice: F-15 IFF

Solidburn

After reading GGTharos' complaint I did a little digging and found a way to Successfully distinguish Friendly and Enemy F-15's.

On the Threat Warning Display (lil green circle on the upper right side of the instrument panel just below the HUD) Friendly F-15's will be displayed as 15 with a half circle above the number. Enemy F-15's will be displayed as a Diamond box with a half circle inside above the 15 designation.

Hopefully this will prove to be informative to our new pilots and less frustrating to the rest of us.

Moderators, and/or Admins' , feel free to make this a Sticky if you feel that it's appropriate.

Solidburn aka in H-L Ricochet

"I know Not that which you have said, but if I had medication I would (Robin Williams)"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you sure? If so, it's a bug. The RWR has no IFF capacity - the diamond is simply supposed to show you which radar represents the greatest threat according to the RWR's sorting algorithm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

just got finished with a test mission....my wingman showed as a semi-circle above the 15, whereas the enemy F-15 showed as a box-diamond with the semi-circle above the 15

"I know Not that which you have said, but if I had medication I would (Robin Williams)"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hmm... no- the hemisphere symbol is simply an indication of a new detected threat. The diamond indicates the PRIMARY threat. Far as I can tell- this designation "primary" is not predicated by a IFF interrogation.

GG beat me to it... I had to delete some pics from my profile space... :P

Well....it just seemed like a way to distinguish between friendly and enemy F-15's which has been a source of "debate" recently ;). If it's a bug then it's a helpful one :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

Nope...and the TEWS only gives you approximate bearing and signal strength. It tries to estimate range based on signal strength, but its not usually very accurate in that department. I'm assuming your wingman was flying roughly the same course as you? The enemy F-15 will show as a high threat priority on your TEWS, generally because he is flying with his radar plate pointed more in your general direction. If your wingman and the enemy F-15 are merged, not only may your TEWS not act the same way as it did in the example you provided, but you won't have any range or accurate bearing info and you may still end up splashing a friendly.