Trimming

kingpieman

You guys should definitely have a read of this thread, a lot of people are having issues who use FFB devices:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170867

Some, including myself, have found a temporary workaround by disabling the FFB for a device, via Regedit. This should get trim working until Belsimtek work out a fix.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If not using FF make sure your mapping the right command for the trim. Originally i mapped the wrong command (cant remember the exact command) and the F5 would jump up and down with the trim.

I then found you have to use the HOTAS trim. If you have it mapped correctly the button on the stick in the cockpit will react to your trim commands.

Oh and there are damper switches that need to be activated as part of the startup although i haven't checked what happens if these aren't activated.

are you using the keyboard or hotas for trimming?

You guys should definitely have a read of this thread, a lot of people are having issues who use FFB devices:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170867

Some, including myself, have found a temporary workaround by disabling the FFB for a device, via Regedit. This should get trim working until Belsimtek work out a fix.

cheers man and yes i'm using hotas .

Fine tuning the trim in the F-5E is very very similar to the F-86F and Mig-15, though the severity of the control surface effects is different for obvious reasons:

1. Get your plane as level as you can at the airspeed you want. You will find that you are either slightly ascending or descending at your best attainable trim using the trim HAT on the stick

2. If you're ascending, reduce engine power slightly to trim the nose down with power, and if descending increase engine power slightly to trim the nose up.

Something to note: The plane will oscillate about the final trim position as it finds it's centre. This oscillation isn't unrealistic in real aircraft and happens because when you increase the power the aircraft will first accelerate past the trimmed for speed as it's relatively nose low. This will raise the nose and as there is excess airspeed it goes up past its resting point. Then, being too high the nose falls down again and the cycle repeats. With more experience you can learn to dampen the effect with the stick very quickly.

Also with this flight model you lose a lot of speed in turns so note your airspeed and RPM before starting a turn. After the turn increase RPM by about 5% to get the speed back, then when the airspeed is exactly where it was before the turn, put the RPM exactly where it was before the turn and you will be trimmed and balanced. Alternatively maintain speed with more power in the turn. The main thing is to return to your exact numbers and then you won't have any trim issues.

• Like 1

Fine tuning the trim in the F-5E is very very similar to the F-86F and Mig-15, though the severity of the control surface effects is different for obvious reasons:

1. Get your plane as level as you can at the airspeed you want. You will find that you are either slightly ascending or descending at your best attainable trim using the trim HAT on the stick

2. If you're ascending, reduce engine power slightly to trim the nose down with power, and if descending increase engine power slightly to trim the nose up.

Something to note: The plane will oscillate about the final trim position as it finds it's centre. This oscillation isn't unrealistic in real aircraft and happens because when you increase the power the aircraft will first accelerate past the trimmed for speed as it's relatively nose low. This will raise the nose and as there is excess airspeed it goes up past its resting point. Then, being too high the nose falls down again and the cycle repeats. With more experience you can learn to dampen the effect with the stick very quickly.

Also with this flight model you lose a lot of speed in turns so note your airspeed and RPM before starting a turn. After the turn increase RPM by about 5% to get the speed back, then when the airspeed is exactly where it was before the turn, put the RPM exactly where it was before the turn and you will be trimmed and balanced. Alternatively maintain speed with more power in the turn. The main thing is to return to your exact numbers and then you won't have any trim issues.

Awesome man , good detail. The oscillation happens irl on the PA-28 that i'm training on so it aerodynamically makes a lot of sense now. :thumbup:

Awesome man , good detail. The oscillation happens irl on the PA-28 that i'm training on so it aerodynamically makes a lot of sense now. :thumbup:

Something that helped me years ago was the realization that you trim to a certain speed, not attitude. The plane will dive or climb to try to maintain the trimmed speed, hence the oscillation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk