Anyone using a motion platform with VR?

MacThai_75

Also, apparently some people have noticed that the when the camera is rig mounted it's actual pointing can change when the rig motion get's bumpy/jerky because there is no way to actually lock down the tilt function of the camera's mount.

This was reported on racing sites that are using CV1s with motion rigs, and if you have sensitivity settings for flight that is always smooth, the following might not be needed.

On my stationary rig I'm using only the short section of the camera's stem attached on a tripod dual adjustable axis adapter like this (that I had in my photography junk drawer).

514VR724YAL.jpg

By using a piece of 1/2" dia PVC tubing to go around the short CV1 camera stem, cut to the proper length so that when I secure the CV1 camera to that adapter mounted on a motion rig, it will jam against the adapter top plate and the camera housing, so the camera can no longer tilt.

Then I'll just use the adapters dual axis knobs to point the camera.

That should prevent it from changing it's aim when the rig moves in any kind of quick or choppy manner.

You might be able to do the same thing with just a piece of small diameter, thick walled foam pipe insulation that's cut somewhat longer than the CV1 camera's stem, so that when mounted the foam get compressed enough to holds the camera so it won't tilt, but you'll have to have a base plate that allows for proper the aim.

I've read some guys get the camera aimed at the base of the stem by various means/adapters, and then just use duct tape to keep the camera from tilting, but IMHO ... that's a pretty ineloquent solution. ;)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stiiiiiiiiiill waiting for the second box with my rest of my rig to get out of USPS customs at the USPS ISC in NY.

I'm starting to think that maybe the box tore open, or the label got messed up, etc. and it's never going to get here.

So now I'm actually hoping it's just USPS incompetency. LOL!

So with my best ability to channel up a Yogi Berra type comment ... "I guess if life was always easy ... everybody would be doing it". ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.