Mission 8.3 Question

Domarien

Hey there,

first of all, I'd like to thank you for this campaign. Finally, the Mig-15 and F-86 are playable in SP^^^. And I appreciate the gameplay of the missions.

BUT (and now the spoilers are following) I've got a question:

In mission 8.3 you got a Su-25T as Wingman. Just before you come around the corner, after which you see the base, the Su-25 disappears. Then I get shot at by the stinger and I evade. And then, out of nothing, the Su-25 reappears 13 km away from me, just with other ordnance, and kills the AAA with vikhr. But he doesn't kill the MANPAD. After that, he says, that I'm cleared to attack. But he doesn't say, that the MANPAD is still active. That killed me several times. Also, he won't do another attack-run. Thats kinda odd. Having a lot of ammo left, but not attacking.

Is that on purpose or a little bug?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Cheers,

Chris

Great campaign.

I've played it with Sabre so in this specific mission it was an A10 that was assisting.

As far as I can tell the mission designed this way on purpose. The strike aircraft should take care of the manpads as those are the main threats.

Than you should be left with remaining targets including attack helicopters. Also if I recall correctly there is no need to destroy all of them as you're informed that secondory/remaining one will be taken care by other flight and troops later on.

But I agree that the fact that attack aircraft is disappearing then appearing again just to fly back home with a lot of ordinance left may seem strange. I guess this is due to the mission design to make sure that the player can carry on with his tasking rather than AI plane doing the job.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hello there Domarien. I'll give you the low down of the triggers in the mission. I double checked everything in the mission editor, and it looks to me like everything should be working correctly. Here's how the triggers unfold: (If you still have this issue, I'd love to see the replay or Tacview of the mission)

You said you noticed the original SU-25T disappear, and then a new one reappear. That is correct. I had to do this so that the timing would work correctly on your wingmans strike. If i didn't spawn the new one, it was very hard to predict what the original SU-25T would do, and if/when they finally did commit to striking the target area, they always approached from a direction that didn't allow them to actually complete the strike (i.e. attack run from the south east where the tall hills are. The A.I. would always break off the attack because of terrain avoidance. I tested this so many times, and could never get it how I wanted it. So I spawned the "new" wingman to the south west, down the valley, with a nice clear shot of the targets. So what you saw there is supposed to happen.

Predicting A.I. behavior can be very tricky. So in this situation, I force it :)

Secondly, with the MANPAD still surviving .... that actually shouldn't be possible. I have a fail safe set up so that if the wingman misses the MANPAD target (which is their primary target on their first run) the MANPAD should actually self-destruct anyway. (simulating that the SU-25T didn't miss the target) (and same goes for the Vulcan, but at a later time) As long as you come within 2 km of the target area, you trip the trigger that starts the sequence/timer for these events to happen (80 seconds after that trigger to be exact)

Are you 100% sure it's the MANPAD still shooting you, and not that Cobra or the Apache's? I would be very interested in seeing this. Since I've set up fail safes to prevent the MANPAD from living

Thanks! Any other questions, feel free to ask!

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

Hey,

thanks for the answers to both of you.

That's what I thought, that the SU-25 disappearing is on purpose.

As with the MANPAD thing - the 2km radius thing with 80 seconds delay could be it. Usually, I turned to the left and into the mountains to get terrain masking. I turned away from the farp, climbed and circled until the wingman said, that the AAA is gone. I didn't even come near the FARP. Then I engaged and got shot by MANPAD.

The last time, I just turned left to get terrain masking and immediately turned back to do a bombing run. And with luck, I hit the fuel tanks which killed the MANPAD. And that worked. My wingman wasn't even there by the time^^

(Beginning of OT) Now I'm flying the cloak and dagger mission. 2nd attempt almost worked^^ I got confused with the Smoke on WP 6 and got spotted. (End of OT^^)

Thanks again for this great campaign. Gonna fly it again with the F-86!

Cheers,

Chris

Glad you're enjoying the campaign! If you have any troubles with mission 10, check out this forum thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=173422 In post #3 of that thread I share some info, but more importantly I point out where you can find a youtube video I made of flying this mission from start to finish. That could probably help out if you get stuck.

However though, if you made it to waypoint 6, it would seem to me that you're doing something right :)

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546