Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Joystick Problem

Hello,

I’m a new DCS enthusiast – I’ve been playing flight sims for many years now, but the quality and feeling of flight that you get from DCS is second to none. Had some real ‘Top Gun’ moments playing this game, and I’m not talking dodgy volleyball either. The reality and excitement of the simulator is hard to beat.

I’ve even upgraded my PC recently to get the most out of the game and ensure smooth flying. That has led to some problems though. I appear to have a compatibility issue with my joystick and the game – I’m getting a fair amount of jitter while I’m flying and it is slow to respond to movements of the stick. My new PC is well above the recommended specs so I don’t think it is a performance issue. The joystick I’m using is the Saitek PS28 X52 Flight Control System and my GFX card is an NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080. I’ve got 8GB RAM and the processor is an Intel Core i3-6100.

saitek_x52_04.jpg

I’ve updated all the drivers for the control system but the issue still occurs and Saitek have not been a great deal of help. Anyone had any compatibility issues with this?

Part of me doesn’t want to find a solution for this because I’ve been looking at new joysticks online and read some of the threads here about controller systems and if I can’t fix my current problem, I’ll just have to upgrade. The girlfriend might have something to say about that though, so any help you can give me would be gratefully received.

Edited by Tankman

Have you tried using the curves in the controller settings. As a former x52 user I did find a solution online for the jitteryness. Basically you replace the magnets in the stick with high power neodymium magnets. A recalibration and it worked a lot better.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Ehhh, your PC is not well above specs, it actually just makes it to qualify I am sorry to say.

The i3-8GB-1080GTX is not the combo one whishes to have. A i5 coupled with 16GB and a 1070 would have been better and maybe same money.

your 8GB are the biggest obstacle now imho, move to 16GB and maybe think about changing the small i3 to an i5/7 at around 4GHz+.

The slow moves and jitter ...maybe the stick's pots, maybe the CPU struggling..dunno

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Never used X-52 so won't be able to help with this one. Worn out (possibly) Saitek sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade plan indeed, especially when entry-level Thrustmasters are reasonably priced nowadays. On the other hand, just like the fellow poster above, I cannot glance over the fact that Your config is badly mismatched, with the best GFX card for DCS at the moment coupled with borderline usable CPU and barely sufficient memory. This is where I would move some surplus funds If I were You, because it's just inefficient to have this monster of a card being bottlenecked by the rest of components, especially in DCS, which very heavily relies on single CPU core performance and is notoriously memory-hungry.

Mind You, we're talking from position of spending lots of gaming time in DCS - Your mileage with other games may vary, but still, something worth considering.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.