Night Time latest 1.5 update

capthaltli

Just tried a night time carrier flight with the latest 1.5 release today. The stars and sky look great now at night with Oculus Rift, might want to give it a try VR!

Is that your own mission? Or one of the canned missions?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just did a night flight and sure enough it is greatly improved. The sky now is black/dark vs the almost brown banded sky I had previously in the Rift and the stars are much more subtle/finer and 'correct'. I will say that the real remaining issue is the lack of dithering. The color banding is still pretty bad around distant hills/mnts and produces the brown bands that was the skies entirety for the most part before if that makes sense. They look terrible and just kill a bit what would be a great night time env with the improvements made.I really hope ED provides a fix either with an option in the future if it is a performance tax or hopefully just a baked in fix. Really needs it badly.

Night is much better. There's still room for improvement, but it's a start if you ask me.

It would be very good to have night time menu themes where the brightness is subdued to prevent unnecessary eyestrain; red or green color palettes would be necessary as well. It's likey ED would never do this, but it's responsible interface design given the rapidly growing VR user base.

A good example of this is Flyinside. You can set the menu interface to nighttime colors for night use. It's very nice.

But maybe ED has a new interface planned for the homogenized version of DCS 2.5. I would be willing to pay money for this feature...I don't mind spending on good things to make DCS even better!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 1 month later...
I just did a night flight and sure enough it is greatly improved. The sky now is black/dark vs the almost brown banded sky I had previously in the Rift and the stars are much more subtle/finer and 'correct'. I will say that the real remaining issue is the lack of dithering. The color banding is still pretty bad around distant hills/mnts and produces the brown bands that was the skies entirety for the most part before if that makes sense. They look terrible and just kill a bit what would be a great night time env with the improvements made.I really hope ED provides a fix either with an option in the future if it is a performance tax or hopefully just a baked in fix. Really needs it badly.

agree