F-14 radar controls and functions

Braeden108

Does anyone know how much control the RIO has over his radar? For example in the M2000 or any other modern fighter your radar controls consist of on-off high low pulse and thats about it. I'm wondering if the F-14 allows you to control things like gain, fine control over pulse rate, and "speed reject" I don't know the proper term for that but its the speed at which an object hit by the radar has to be moving relative to the reciver in order to show up on the scope. THis is normally set high in a regular jet in order to avoid picking up terrian. I don't plan to attempt to use the F-14's radar as a terrian radar but rather to attempt to aquire targets that are above me faster and also targets that are moving perpendicular to my flight path.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know how much control the RIO has over his radar? For example in the M2000 or any other modern fighter your radar controls consist of on-off high low pulse and thats about it. I'm wondering if the F-14 allows you to control things like gain, fine control over pulse rate, and "speed reject" I don't know the proper term for that but its the speed at which an object hit by the radar has to be moving relative to the reciver in order to show up on the scope. THis is normally set high in a regular jet in order to avoid picking up terrian. I don't plan to attempt to use the F-14's radar as a terrian radar but rather to attempt to aquire targets that are above me faster and also targets that are moving perpendicular to my flight path.

Hello,

I do remember seeing similarly labeled "modes/functions" around switches and knobs on the FSX Tomcat (Aerosoft), although not all of them are working at that sim.

And there are many others besides the ones you mention; search and acquisition modes; Radar scan geometries... there's even switches related to Radar / missiles communications; channels etc.

So, yes, in real life I understand the RIO had that much "fine tune", detailed control over the AWG-9 system.

Regarding the bold part, the concept/radar capability which allows one to do that, is related with "doppler effect" I believe.

The best I can advice you, is to search Google for "F-14 radar modes" - there's tons of info regarding that stuff.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Regarding the bold, I think it should be possible if I could change the "notch" on the radar. The speed based rejection. Also if this would have to be done with the target against the sky or very far away from terrain.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding the bold, I think it should be possible if I could change the "notch" on the radar. The speed based rejection. Also if this would have to be done with the target against the sky or very far away from terrain.

You will have Pulse Search to achieve what you are describing.