Oculus Rift and Microphone

EntropySG

Hi, I fly the A10-C in the rift and therefore also depend on voiceattack to help me with button presses, which works like a charm.

I enjoy the sound of my gaming headset (KAVE XTD 5.1) way over the rift-audio so I would ideally like to put the headset over the rift. That works, but when I look over my right shoulder the tracking gets messed up easily, I think this is because the headset blocks one of the trackers on the rift? Without the headset it works nicely.

So I tried using the rift built-in audio and mic, however, voice attack now refuses to recognize most commands now when I use the rift-mic. I tried re-running the training for voice-recognition but I had to read most sentences multiple times for the software to even pick them up. Even afterwards, Voice Attack would not accept most commands.. (Im not a native speaker, but still, with the KAVE XTD mic it works nicely)

What is your experience? Do you really need to re-train the voice engine to a new mic? Once you've done that, will it now 'forget' the training you had for the old mic?

Does the mic in the rift work well with voice attack? (for me it didnt, but maybe I need to train it more? )

I consider simply getting a non-headset mic and put this between my 2D screen and my keyboard and only switch audio output(KAVE XTD for 2D, Rift audio for well..the rift.).

Any recommendation on a GOOD desktop microphone that works well with speech recognition?

Edited by EntropySG

I have problems with the Rift microphone and Voice Attack too. The recording audio from the Rift is very quiet. Voice Attack barely can hear the mic. All settings in Voice Attack and windows are set to loud.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

The tracking LEDs for the Rift are built into the front and sides of the "face bit" AND the fabric insert on the back of the headset.

These images taken with an IR sensitive camera shows them well:

http://www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/oculu-rift-teardown-1.jpg

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/o1XDDUZujHncbBFw.medium

Keep this in mind when trying to diagnose tracking issues.

I'd suggest having the camera as close to dead center in front of you when you're playing so that the camera has as much chance as possible of picking up the LEDs on the back of the headset when you turn your head.