needing to run Oculus Home...

fitness88

Do you get some gain in FPS without Oculus Home ?

Originally I would open OTT then open Oculus Home then open DCS. Once OTT is open it opens the Oculus Service without needing to open the Oculus Home. I can't say one way or another if there is any benefit performance wise. Of course if you want to go to use Oculus Home after DCS, it will have to be opened.

Originally I would open OTT then open Oculus Home then open DCS. Once OTT is open it opens the Oculus Service without needing to open the Oculus Home. I can't say one way or another if there is any benefit performance wise. Of course if you want to go to use Oculus Home after DCS, it will have to be opened.

Technically, the Oculus Service starts up automatically when you boot up the PC. It is always running whether Oculus Home is open or not, and whether Oculus Tray Tool is open or not. The Oculus Service is not reliant on either of those two programs. Now one can stop, start, restart the Oculus Service manually with either the debug tool or the Oculus Tray Tool, but by default it always launches upon Windows Login and is always running.

So one can run DCS without Oculus Home running, even if Oculus Tray Tool is not running, since the service itself is already running. Oculus Home by default, will launch when one puts on the headset. You can prevent that from occurring, by setting Oculus Home to " run as administrator". No longer will Oculus Home launch automatically when putting on the headset, which is how I have mine set. I launch Oculus Home when needed by double clicking the exe shortcut icon on my desktop.

However of course the Oculus Service itself is still running, whether Oculus Home or even the Tray Tool is or not, so you can launch DCS and it will open up in VR for the Rift just like normal, irrespective of whether the Tray Tool or Oculus Home is running or not.

Now one caveat. If one uses the Oculus Tray Tool to set things like Pixel Density, ASW settings, Audio Switching - then those functions will not work without the Oculus Home software running. I have tested this extensively and my game profiles I have for these settings, do not apply from the Oculus Tray Tool unless the Oculus Home software is running.

I have also tested running DCS with the Oculus Home software running, and without it running. While I did not perform any real benchmarking to create firm data from, I can not say I saw a noticeable difference in performance between the two, maybe a little better without Oculus Home running but certainly a very slight amount if any.

So as I prefer to use the Oculus Tray Tool for my ASW settings and audio switching, I go ahead and launch Oculus Home and have it running when I launch DCS.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Technically, the Oculus Service starts up automatically when you boot up the PC. It is always running whether Oculus Home is open or not, and whether Oculus Tray Tool is open or not. The Oculus Service is not reliant on either of those two programs. Now one can stop, start, restart the Oculus Service manually with either the debug tool or the Oculus Tray Tool, but by default it always launches upon Windows Login and is always running.

So one can run DCS without Oculus Home running, even if Oculus Tray Tool is not running, since the service itself is already running. Oculus Home by default, will launch when one puts on the headset. You can prevent that from occurring, by setting Oculus Home to " run as administrator". No longer will Oculus Home launch automatically when putting on the headset, which is how I have mine set. I launch Oculus Home when needed by double clicking the exe shortcut icon on my desktop.

However of course the Oculus Service itself is still running, whether Oculus Home or even the Tray Tool is or not, so you can launch DCS and it will open up in VR for the Rift just like normal, irrespective of whether the Tray Tool or Oculus Home is running or not.

Now one caveat. If one uses the Oculus Tray Tool to set things like Pixel Density, ASW settings, Audio Switching - then those functions will not work without the Oculus Home software running. I have tested this extensively and my game profiles I have for these settings, do not apply from the Oculus Tray Tool unless the Oculus Home software is running.

I have also tested running DCS with the Oculus Home software running, and without it running. While I did not perform any real benchmarking to create firm data from, I can not say I saw a noticeable difference in performance between the two, maybe a little better without Oculus Home running but certainly a very slight amount if any.

So as I prefer to use the Oculus Tray Tool for my ASW settings and audio switching, I go ahead and launch Oculus Home and have it running when I launch DCS.

Very interesting. I did notice my playback went to my HMD when I started DCS with only OTT running and not having OH running.

dburne is it possible that your testing was before OTT 0.69.2. It seems to me after having run DCS with/without OH there was no difference.

Nope it is the same with 0.69.2.

You can easily see it, just click on the green button ( show info) toward the bottom of the OTT, run DCS without Home running, then with Home running. The info button will show that without Home running one's custom profile settings are not being applied versus them being applied with Home running. At least for me they are not applied without Home running.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Nope it is the same with 0.69.2.

You can easily see it, just click on the green button ( show info) toward the bottom of the OTT, run DCS without Home running, then with Home running. The info button will show that without Home running one's custom profile settings are not being applied versus them being applied with Home running. At least for me they are not applied without Home running.

So if the default profile is only able to be used not my custom profile and the default profile happens to be the same as the custom profile for DCS then that would explain the non-change. I'll run a test later with a different custom profile and see what happens...something like ASW/off, PD=2.0.

I'll let you know.