Synthetic runway too high?

kunterbunt

Hi, need help or confirmation. I'm currently experimenting with ILS and autopilot. The autopilot is suppose to bring the plain down to the runway, which he is doing quite well, only that the last 2 - 3 meters are rough. I noticed that the synthetic runway actually is a bit higher than the actual runway and that the autopilot would hit the runway just great if it had the same height as the synthetic one.

Why do I have this mismatching of synthetic and real runway?

Now, is anybody experiencing the same thing? Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: I'm testing this at Creech.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Hi

The autopilot is suppose to bring the plain down to the runway

No, the AP (ILS mode) is OK down to 200ft height, after that point you must take back manual control of the aircraft.

I noticed that the synthetic runway actually is a bit higher than the actual runway and that the autopilot would hit the runway just great if it had the same height as the synthetic one.

Yes, it is higher, for everyone.

No, it wouldn't be useful to try to make it lower. In fact IRL, passing "minima" in approach (200ft or more), the pilot gets the runway in sight, and poceeds "visual" from there. So he usually cancels the various ILS cues to declutter his HUD. This is done by an existing control, but the "ILS cues display cancelling" feature is not implemented to date.

++

Az'

spacer.png

AFAIK the M-2000C Autopilot should only fly you to a 200 ft MDA.

As the Synthetic Runway is projected it most likely doesn't line up perfect in RL.

The Airbus Synthetic Runway lines up well in RL (it's a newer GPS based system) but will disappear at MDA (lower in the Airbus) to remind the pilot he/she is flying visually.

attachment.php?attachmentid=165557&stc=1&d=1499627688

A320_Synthetic_Runway.JPG.90d62837807c4881e0ea0f658a7ca865.JPG

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks, Azrayen and Ramsay now I know that it is how it is suppose to be and how it is implemented in actual airplanes of today. I did not know that an airbus had a synthetic runway.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb