2.1 lost of focus

Neurowork

Hey guys,

So I'm enjoying DCS in VR with my Oculus but there's one thing that's killing, beside performance issues.

It seems that everytime I load a mission, when I get to the briefing and after the loading screen, DCS looses input focus, which requires, to reach out for the mouse and click to put it back in focus. Using the button I had mapped as left mouse button doesn't work.

It is really annoying especially in VR where I managed to completely remove the need of the mouse.

Is it just me or do you guys experience the same issue ?

Happy flying

:pilotfly:

C.

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

Hey guys,

So I'm enjoying DCS in VR with my Oculus but there's one thing that's killing, beside performance issues.

It seems that everytime I load a mission, when I get to the briefing and after the loading screen, DCS looses input focus, which requires, to reach out for the mouse and click to put it back in focus. Using the button I had mapped as left mouse button doesn't work.

It is really annoying especially in VR where I managed to completely remove the need of the mouse.

Is it just me or do you guys experience the same issue ?

Happy flying

:pilotfly:

C.

Do you mean like keypad Nr 5??

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Not sure I completely understand, but try going to true full screen by pressing ALT+Enter when you first get into DCS menu.

Just checking full screen in the GUI does not do this, have to press alt+enter.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not sure I completely understand, but try going to true full screen by pressing ALT+Enter when you first get into DCS menu.

Just checking full screen in the GUI does not do this, have to press alt+enter.

Ok so, in VR mode, you most likely have a button setup on your hotas for the mouse button. That way you are completely hands-on all the time even when you need to manipulate cockpit switch and what not. You just have to point the little dot on the center of vision and activate switches with the joystick button mapped as left mouse click.

So it works also in the main screen, to manipulate menus.

My problem is that right after the briefing loads, this doesn't work anymore, I can't click the Fly button that way because it seems that the game "window" is out of input focus. I have click with the actual mouse button to bring it back in focus, then it works as expected.

Same thing happens after the loading screen, I can't click resume with only my head and joystick button. I have to bring it back in focus, then it's working fine.

I have the same problem in alt-tab mode.

I also don't have this problem in 1.5 :(

You guys don't experience the same problem ?

Edited by Neurowork

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

I will have to test that myself, normally when in the menu screen I just go ahead and use my regular mouse.

I so far have only used the mouse assigned to button whilst flying in the cockpit.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok so, in VR mode, you most likely have a button setup on your hotas for the mouse button. That way you are completely hands-on all the time even when you need to manipulate cockpit switch and what not. You just have to point the little dot on the center of vision and activate switches with the joystick button mapped as left mouse click.

So it works also in the main screen, to manipulate menus.

My problem is that right after the briefing loads, this doesn't work anymore, I can't click the Fly button that way because it seems that the game "window" is out of input focus. I have click with the actual mouse button to bring it back in focus, then it works as expected.

Same thing happens after the loading screen, I can't click resume with only my head and joystick button. I have to bring it back in focus, then it's working fine.

I have the same problem in alt-tab mode.

I also don't have this problem in 1.5 :(

You guys don't experience the same problem ?

I have the same problem. The button on my HOTAS for mouse doesn't work after mission load.

Currently during mission start, the simulation window doesn't seem to have focus (be the active window in Windows) which means DCS isn't processing inputs for your HOTAS controller.

There isn't really any solution other than using alt-enter as DBurne recommended. Its an annoyance that hopefully ED gets around to fixing at some point. Its been responsible for at least a couple deaths in Campaigns due to crashing into terrain while flying low and trying to keep terrain masked.

On a side note, if any testers or people with ED's ear are looking over this thread ... perhaps consider requesting that the "Full Screen" checkbox in the settings menu still be respected for VR users?

On a side note, if any testers or people with ED's ear are looking over this thread ... perhaps consider requesting that the "Full Screen" checkbox in the settings menu still be respected for VR users?

That full screen checkbox has been that way for a really long time, not just for VR users. It is just with VR the problem is more prevalent due to the 3d cockpits, resulting in issues with certain button presses.

It has always been a requirement AFAIK to press alt+enter to enable true full screen in the DCS Edge engine ( beginning with 1.5).

Don B

There isn't really any solution other than using alt-enter as DBurne recommended

Does it work in alt-enter mode (fullscreen) ? It doesn't for me unfortunately.

--

Does it work in alt-enter mode (fullscreen) ? It doesn't for me unfortunately.

Does it work for you if you use the actual mouse in the DCS Menu screen rather than the button you assigned in the UI Layer?

I do believe 2.1 is problematic in this regard, here is what I typically do:

I use the actual mouse in the menu screen.

Once I have a mission loaded and am in the cockpit, I click in the middle of the cockpit with the actual mouse again.

Thereafter, my button I assigned in the UI Layer for mouse seems to work fine for the rest of the mission.

I am fairly sure this also has been reported.

Don B

Thanks for the tip but I already have my taskbar on the left. Still no joy.

--

Yes that's exactly what I'm reporting.

I believe that clicking with the actual window does put in focus, at which point, joystick input is taken into account, including the button set in UI Layer

--

Yes that's exactly what I'm reporting.

I believe that clicking with the actual window does put in focus, at which point, joystick input is taken into account, including the button set in UI Layer

That is a little odd, whilst my mouse when using the button assigned as mouse in UI layer would not have focus initially, I never had a problem with my joystick not being active in the cockpit.

Don B

Drag the windows taskbar to the right side of your monitor. Windowed or alt+enter you won't lose focus from DCS again.

Thanks for the tip but I already have my taskbar on the left. Still no joy.

Try it on the right, i.e. it should be vertical up the right hand side of the monitor. All other windows should be closed or minimised. You should also alt+enter to full screen DCS.

That is a little odd, whilst my mouse when using the button assigned as mouse in UI layer would not have focus initially, I never had a problem with my joystick not being active in the cockpit.

That's what I was saying regarding my deaths in campaign. If you click outside of the DCS window while in VR (I've got simshaker running, usually one or two other Windows) then I lose all HOTAS functionality. Not a good thing to happen when you're flying low through valleys.

The VR view stays active, so you still get to panic while you realize you're not banking when you intend to. :joystick:

That's what I was saying regarding my deaths in campaign. If you click outside of the DCS window while in VR (I've got simshaker running, usually one or two other Windows) then I lose all HOTAS functionality. Not a good thing to happen when you're flying low through valleys.

The VR view stays active, so you still get to panic while you realize you're not banking when you intend to. :joystick:

You need to minimize all other windows. Simshaker still works when minimised.