30 minute load times, Ingame will often freeze for 20-30 minutes at a time

wardinson

Very strange behavior with 2.5, Almost anything takes 20-30 minutes to load for me sometimes longer. This extends from a simple custom mission with just a f15 and a kc-135 to any of the prebuilt missions and occurs in multiplayer.

When it does finally load usually the game runs very well, better frames on average i think than the release version, however at times seemingly related to shader cache (missile launch, ground unit exploding, aircraft crashing to ground and exploding) and sometimes in less obvious times the game will freeze for 20-30 minutes at a time as well. Then eventually resume to a normal state where again performance is actually very good.

Specs:

i7-4790k

980 classy

16gb ddr3

game is on a seperate raid 0 drive out of two samsung 850 evos.

dxdiag is attached.

It is also a fresh install. I have been running a separate release version install without issues, it is just relegated to 2.5. I have been collecting logs from my sessions but there is not really very many crashes, the game just takes a very long time to load or hangs up for a long time mid session. Sometimes the game will either fully hang up i think or it has just taken so long to load that I will lose patience because it has been an hour or hours and kill it with task manager. I am not sure if the logs will help specific events causing the issues but you can see the different time stamps at certain points where things can take very long to change and will be happy to upload them if it is recommended.

Hoping to see if anyone else has experienced this, if ED can help at all and also if anyone from the community has some suggestions to attempt. I feel like I have tried alot of options at this point, i have fresh saved games folder for dcs, its a fresh install, i have messed around with nvidia settings and in game settings. Nothing has made a huge difference. I think removing msaa and deferred shading as well as changing the nvidia PRF setting to 3 has helped with the in game hang ups somewhat, and it seems when the missions do finally load restarting from in mission is less troublesome as well with the changes in settings. But the massively long load times persist . Thanks in advance.

DxDiag.txt

Edited by wardinson

I am having similar problems. Don't know what was going on as I was able to log on to MP servers the other day and play OK, though under 2.5 it has consistently seemed longer and longer to connect to the servers.

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

I am having similar problems. Don't know what was going on as I was able to log on to MP servers the other day and play OK, though under 2.5 it has consistently seemed longer and longer to connect to the servers.

same here, i thought shader caching was a big part of it but this is the third day straight of running dcs trying to troubleshoot and the same missions that i have been trying day in and out are taking 30+ minutes to load still so that basically rules that out. I am wondering if the memory leak could be to blame it doesnt make sense to me why it would affect loading so much but maybe someone from ED could chime in and let us the state of the mem leak issue.

Edited by wardinson

Looking in the log file in the saved games folder, it looks like there are a lot of missing textures being referenced during startup, that seems to be the source of the delay at least from actively watching the log while trying to load in.

I've tried dcs_update repair and update - no files are found to be missing. What I haven't done is try to go through the zipped files in the various directories and find references from missing files in the log, thinking that perhaps some things aren't being extracted that should be during the installation process.

The last thing I want to do is to have to delete and reinstall this whole thing again. Apart from the massive time it will take to get everything reinstalled, all modules reinstalled, I don't want to lose the control setups again.

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

I have no issues with freezing or long load times on 2.5. If I enable or disable deferred shading the first load will take around 2 minutes, but it's fast after that.

I did have a problem like this about a year ago where it would take 5 to 10 minutes to load. I was also using two SSDs in raid 0. I tried reinstalling several times and this was on a fresh Windows 10 install. Finally I decided to try installing on the C drive's single slower SSD. The load times went back to normal. It seems that DCS does not like to run on a different drive than the main C drive. Might be that it doesn't like RAID, but I don't see how that could possibly have any impact as the system just sees 1 drive.

Not sure if that's your problem.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

• ED Team

Hi ED are looking into a memory leak currently

please attach your dcs logs so we can take a look after the freeze or crash

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have no issues with freezing or long load times on 2.5. If I enable or disable deferred shading the first load will take around 2 minutes, but it's fast after that.

I did have a problem like this about a year ago where it would take 5 to 10 minutes to load. I was also using two SSDs in raid 0. I tried reinstalling several times and this was on a fresh Windows 10 install. Finally I decided to try installing on the C drive's single slower SSD. The load times went back to normal. It seems that DCS does not like to run on a different drive than the main C drive. Might be that it doesn't like RAID, but I don't see how that could possibly have any impact as the system just sees 1 drive.

Not sure if that's your problem.

this was one of the first things i thought of. having 2.5 installed on my main C: drive which is also an ssd but not raided had no change in the loading times.

Hi ED are looking into a memory leak currently

please attach your dcs logs so we can take a look after the freeze or crash

thanks

i will throw a bunch in. thanks for the response!