Warning Tone From Nowhere

doodenkoff

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. In a mission I've been flying with no issues, recently, just as the CK37 comes on line, I start getting a regular intermittent high-pitched tone. Nothing on the RWR. On the CK37 output panel is a series of 3 1's, and the rest zeroes. The tone persists after I shut down the plane and power. Nothing is unusual on the Master Caution panel. I did make a recent change to the mission by changing the weapon loadout from rockets to bombs.

I've been digging around the web for an hour now trying to get a hint what might be going on. Any clues someone can toss my way?

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Can you reproduce the problem? I flew the Viggen a minute ago and there was nothing unusual.

What mode did you use on the CK37 panel? Depending on the mode this might not be an unusual readout (TAKT in Output displays pylon status using 0 and 1).

Is the bug specific to that mission? If so, can you share it with us?

The initial RWR tone is from an L-101 approaching from the East. I did not know that aircraft had a radar system. And try to ignore the point where I discover the throttle forward. I was flying a Huey before recording this.

This is my typical startup procedure for the Viggen. I'm not doing anything different than I normally do. The oddest thing is that it persists with the systems shut down.

The CK readout is fine as you're in ID (not really implemented in DCS as not needed).

The sound is definitely from the RWR system. The frequencies sound like airborne radar spikes.

But you are right, the sound probably should go off when turning off power.

Can you check whether the sound quits when you move the RWR knobs? For example to "Visual" or "Off" instead of "Visual / Audio":

GD0FQL7.jpg

Maybe, for some reason, the system gets power even without the AC having power which wound indicate a bug.

I tried changing the RWR output setting. I cycled the selector between all three positions with no change; the tone persisted.

Later today I'll get another capture. The tone starts the instant the CK37 becomes active. I mean literally, the instant.

I'll test again without the C-101 in the mission. Again, I didn't know the C-101 even had airborne radar. I'm pretty sure it's only the "DD" variant that had a radar. I have the base trainer in this mission, but I'm getting an RWR event from it.

So I was using a C-101CC in the mission and that is what was triggering the RWR alerts. I still can't find any indication that the CC variant was equipped with radar.

I flew this mission several times and got only RWR alerts from the C-101. At the time I thought nothing of it, not owning the module and not familiar with the airframe. THe tone was handy too, I could tell when the AI was making its base turn.

I made a slight change to the mission; changing the rocket loadout to a low-drag bomb setup. That was it. Immediately afterward, I start getting the RWR lock alert from the C-101. Why would a blue AI lock my Viggen while on the ground?

The tone persists after I power down the aircraft and kill all electrical.

I switched the AI to the EB variant and have no issues.

I'll switch back to the CC variant tonight and explore a little more.

I made a slight change to the mission; changing the rocket loadout to a low-drag bomb setup. That was it. Immediately afterward, I start getting the RWR lock alert from the C-101. Why would a blue AI lock my Viggen while on the ground?

The RWR is not just showing radar locks. It shows all kind of radar emissions, including search radars. That's just a side note though and not the cause for your problem.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg