ALQ-167, ECM POD

Shrike88

That said, the real F-14 could detect certain types of jamming, and show a strobe on the TID (and noise levels on the DDD), and moreover those TID strobes were shared on datalink, so a few tomcats working together would be able to triangulate more or less the location of a jammer (where the jamming strobes cross) and place a spot hook there and create a waypoint on that spot. It would be cool to have this in DCS.

That would be cool indeed :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It doesn't prevent symbology of course, BUT given that the target object only has a flag specifying whether or not it's jamming, we need to come up with some kind of model of how that jamming might affect us. We'd need to make assumptions about jamming capabilities of the target, whether it jams noise, or interferes with range or range-rate discrimination, how sensitive our radar might be to all that based on how far away said target is and how powerful its jammer might be etc. Basically it would be a lot of speculative extrapolation, all from 1 bit of data. Of course the real world ECM and ECCM capabilities of aircraft are quite heavily guarded secrets, which is probably (at least partly) why DCS just has such a simple on/off ECM model.

That said, the real F-14 could detect certain types of jamming, and show a strobe on the TID (and noise levels on the DDD), and moreover those TID strobes were shared on datalink, so a few tomcats working together would be able to triangulate more or less the location of a jammer (where the jamming strobes cross) and place a spot hook there and create a waypoint on that spot. It would be cool to have this in DCS.

Yeah, I absolutly understand the issue of jamming in DCS is nothing more than just a flag on the jamming aircraft that's either true or false, with no other attributes like signal strength and type of jamming and that is indeed quite unsatisfying. But that's how it is and some modules have made an effort to implement some jamming effects on the recieving side and I would hope the same will be done for the Tomcat. A generic jamming strobe and noise level for being jammed would already be a great addition, because currently you have absolutly no indication if you're getting jammed or not and where it comes from. It should also obscure the jamming aircraft at certain distances.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg