1.5.8 vs 2.5 Performance Issue

Hi.

I have been testing the 2.5 upgrade and have found it not to be to my liking (funky visuals, bad frame rate drops while using TGP and flying low over wooded areas), so I rolled back the 1.5.8 version, and I got with ~17% decrease in performance.

Let me clarify:

Before 2.5 upgrade, my 1.5.8 was working rather swell, but after I rolled back from 2.5, the 1.5.8 got performance hit; 49-51 frames per second, prior to solid 60.

• ED Team

rename your saved games folder for the openbeta

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

restart DCS and allow it to create a new one.

you can move your input folder from the old to the new one after.

see if you notice a difference

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

rename your saved games folder for the openbeta

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

restart DCS and allow it to create a new one.

you can move your input folder from the old to the new one after.

see if you notice a difference

Actually did that before I posted this. In fact, I reinstalled fresh. Tried with new, fresh settings and was still getting slow downs. The funny thing is, it happens only when I look in a certain directions, and it's very noticeable in cockpit.

Like I said: Ran a 1.5.8, upgraded to 2.5. Then rolled back to 1.5.8 and got slow downs.

• ED Team

Have any of your drivers updated since then, or do you now have the spectre patch on your cpu?

could that be the reason for the difference in performance?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

Have any of your drivers updated since then, or do you now have the spectre patch on your cpu?

No. I haven't been updating nothing.

But I must admit that I experienced the same issue almost 2 months ago.

Had 1.5.8 installed. Updated to 2.5 early February. Did not like the performance in certain areas (aforementioned TGP frame-tanking in densely wooded areas and abysmal loading times). Regressed to 1.5.8 and my previous performance issues have been miraculously resolved.

Then, a week ago, I upgraded to 2.5 hoping it was optimized better. Saw that it was not [still a resource hog (no pun)]. So I regressed again to 1.5.8. But now, I have the same original issue. 49-51 frames per second in cockpit on the ground during takeoffs, and while looking at certain directions.

The strange thing, those frame rate issues present in 1.5.8 are not present in 2.5, yet 2.5 has frame rate issues not present in 1.5.8...

ED should just optimize 2.5

Just wanted to say that I have found what the issue was.

When you revert from 2.5 to 1.5.8, the game enables "Use Virtual Headset" option by default. In 1.5.8 it seems it's draining your power, which is strange.

• ED Team
Just wanted to say that I have found what the issue was.

When you revert from 2.5 to 1.5.8, the game enables "Use Virtual Headset" option by default. In 1.5.8 it seems it's draining your power, which is strange.

Thanks for letting us know, will try to remember that one for the future :thumbup: