TM Cougar - Setting up different axis profiles

Not so long ago I realised I can enable different axis profiles just by pressing a controler button (or set of buttons). I never even considered this neccessery untill recentry I read that AFM for Su-25/T work best/propper with linear axis response.

If you have already made ur used someone tmm and tmj Cougar profiles you would be familiar with this...

tmm file:

Axis-Sensitivity-AFM = <CURVE (JOYX, -1)> <CURVE (JOYY, 0)> <CURVE (RDDR, -1)>

Axis-Sensitivity-No-AFM = <CURVE (JOYX, -4)> <CURVE (JOYY, -4)> <CURVE (RDDR, -3)>

This will define Pitch, Roll and Rudder axis to their specific curve setting. You can add more axis if you wish or remove those you don't want included. I have made 2 different axis curves, one for SU-25 that use AFM and for them I set linear shape for Roll and -1 curve for Pitch and Rudder. The No-AFM is for all other aircraft, and the way I preffer is -4 for Pitch and Roll and -3 for Rudder axis. You can change this to what ever you preffer.

tmj file:

RNG 5 3 (0 30 70 100) (X1) (X2) (X1)

DEF X12 (X1 AND S3)

DEF X13 (X2 AND S3)

BTN X12 Axis-Sensitivity-AFM

BTN X13 Axis-Sensitivity-No-AFM

This is what I've done for the Cougar joystick file. I've defined the RANGE axis on the Cougar throttle to have 3 areas along the axis, like this:

RNG 5 3 (0 30 70 100) (X1) (X2) (X1)

Then I define with when 2 Logical conditions are satisfied. 1 condition is that I have pressed the S3 button and rotated RANGE axis to one direction (left of right) and the 2 condition pressed S3 button and moved RANGE axis to centre, like this:

DEF X12 (X1 AND S3)

DEF X13 (X2 AND S3)

Then I define what each condition will do, each enabling their own axis curvature I already defined in TMM file, like this:

BTN X12 Axis-Sensitivity-AFM

BTN X13 Axis-Sensitivity-No-AFM

So when I am in game and switch aircraft, I don't need to exit the game at all, I just press the S3 button and rotate the RANGE axis and the axis profile I want is set. Veeeeery handy :D

If you don't want to use axis but rather just a button all you have to do is change what BTN you want it to perform, followed by action, for example like this:

BTN S1 <CURVE (JOYX, 0)> <CURVE (JOYY, 0)> <CURVE (RDDR, 0)>

BTN S2 <CURVE (JOYX, -4)> <CURVE (JOYY, -4)> <CURVE (RDDR, -4)>

With Cougar, these options are endless :D I hope you find this helpfull.

No longer active in DCS...

or something like this

Rem ** MAN RNG **

RNG /I 5 15 (0 2 5 10 20 30 40 48 52 60 70 80 90 95 98 100) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-20) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-15) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-10) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-7) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-5) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-3) CURVE(JOYSTICK,-1) CURVE(JOYSTICK,0) CURVE(JOYSTICK,1) CURVE(JOYSTICK,3) CURVE(JOYSTICK,5) CURVE(JOYSTICK,7) CURVE(JOYSTICK,10) CURVE(JOYSTICK,15) CURVE(JOYSTICK,20)

rem above make it possible to change the sensibility of the joysticks x/y axis ingame

/O ^ Rem ** used as analogue axis **

Thanks Kuky. Question for you. I am using the range and antenna knobs in analog mode in the sim for radar elevation and radar slew. The question is can I Have the Range/antenna knob on the cougar remain analog while S3 is not held and perform the functions you describe when S3 is held? I would like this very much.

1: This will allow you to perform a rampstart (All AC except the 25/25T) by holding S3 and holding Trigger1 (TG1) for 5 seconds:

(insert below into .tmj file)

DEF X1DELAY(5000) S3 AND TG1

BTN X1 Rampstart

(insert below into .tmm file)

RampStart = (LEngineStart DLY(1000) REngineStart DLY(1000) CockpitLights DLY(2000) Canopy DLY(5000) ToggleFlaps )

You must edit the macro definitions to suit. I use LEngineStart, REngineStart etc. You will have to edit those to match what you have for definitions for these functions in your own macro file. You can also easily add or remove any statements you like to or from the start up sequence and edit to suit.

:thumbup:

Out

Thanks Kuky. Question for you. I am using the range and antenna knobs in analog mode in the sim for radar elevation and radar slew. The question is can I Have the Range/antenna knob on the cougar remain analog while S3 is not held and perform the functions you describe when S3 is held? I would like this very much.

I just tested this and the answer is: YES

I set RANGE axis to "Target Specified Size" so while I was holding down the S3 button the axis worked as setting up the Cougar axis curvature and without S3 held it worked normally as "Target Specified Size" axis.

sweeet :D

I just tested this and the answer is: YES

I set RANGE axis to "Target Specified Size" so while I was holding down the S3 button the axis worked as setting up the Cougar axis curvature and without S3 held it worked normally as "Target Specified Size" axis.

sweeet :D

Could you give me sample logical syntax please? I currently have no range knob or antenna knob statements in the file. I just go to input options analog and assign the axis from each to the radar slew and elevation respectively.

My statements would normally be in the /I /O type as I primarily use S3 to get two functions per button depending on S3 being in or out. So how would I set this up in my file. What I would like to accomplish is the following. S3 out = my standard analog assignments for slew\elev. S3 in = your switch curve statements. (One for AFM and one for all others).

Thanks Kuky, much appreciated.

I also have some syntax that I got from Joe over at simHQ which allows that when you hold the flaps button for more then 0.3s the flaps go to full while if you quickly hit the button they go to half flaps. Very elegant solution. If any one is interested I will post.

Out

Hi PoleCat, I am not sure if normal /I /O coding would work, but from my example above using logical flags I can do this without a problem.

Just use the same code from my first post. If you want just tell me what axis you want to do what and I can write the code. Tell me what Cougar axis you want to use, and how many axis profiles you want to have.

What I have done is set RANGE axis to enable 2 curve profiles. Centre will give me normal curve I used so far (NO AFM) and because I don't want to remember which side I need to turn the RANGE axis to, I just set both to do the same... exable linear axis for Pitch/Roll/Rudder.

This is all works, of course, with S3 pressed. Without S3 the RANGE works just as any other analog axis, in my case I use it for "Target Specified Size". You can use it for Radar Horizontal Slew or what ever axis you wish.