GPU - ATI, whats the best

This is very similar to what Intel did some time last year. Which was apparently a very smart move on their part, to lower their operating costs ...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

O/C'ing your vid card won't help much. The only thing you get with a "better" vid card is the ability to do A/A and A/F without a framerate hit. I gained a few FPS with my new vid card though, but my processor is strong.

I think overclocking core/ mem clock is the best way to gain performance in all games...not LO only in case i don't have much money to get a new stronger vid card :music_whistling: . Eg: in Lockon FC, with default core/mem clock of the ATI Radeon 9550 is 250Mhz/ DDR 200Mhzx2 i usually achive 27-29fps at medium graphic settings in FC (basic sky, medium water), then gain to 37-43fps at the same settings at clock 450-500Mhz for the core clock (default is 250Mhz, oc up to 200%) and 580Mhz for the memory clock (default 400Mhz, up to 45% without artifatcs). Is it OK ?? :thumbup:

I think overclocking core/ mem clock is the best way to gain performance in all games...not LO only in case i don't have much money to get a new stronger vid card :music_whistling: . Eg: in Lockon FC, with default core/mem clock of the ATI Radeon 9550 is 250Mhz/ DDR 200Mhzx2 i usually achive 27-29fps at medium graphic settings in FC (basic sky, medium water), then gain to 37-43fps at the same settings at clock 450-500Mhz for the core clock (default is 250Mhz, oc up to 200%) and 580Mhz for the memory clock (default 400Mhz, up to 45% without artifatcs). Is it OK ?? :thumbup:

That's because you have a card which is heavily downclocked to begin with (the same chip is used in Radeon 9600XT and runs at 500 MHz by default). Cases like this are rare and usually you can overclock the card some 10-20% for some 10% gain in performance or so depending on the game and the resolution and other settings.

That said, even some newer cards overclock real nice. E.g. 8800GTS can be overclocked to the level where it comes very close to the 8800GTX level of performance.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

That said, even some newer cards overclock real nice. E.g. 8800GTS can be overclocked to the level where it comes very close to the 8800GTX level of performance.

Since you brought this up I'm running an 8800 gts ...

Its a BFG geforce 8800 gts and these are the specs ..

640 MB gddr3

Core Clock 500 Mhz

Shader Clock 1200 Mhz

Memory Clock 1600 Mhz

The BFG geforce 8800 gtx

768 MB gddr3

core clock 575 Mhz

shader clock 1350 Mhz

memory clock 1800 Mhz...

I went to the nvidia web sight and down loaded the Adrianne demo for DX10..

And all I can say is.... OHRAAA !!!! This is almost like the holodeck...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ok new rig.

I am in school, but here in AUS we get spread out hols. 2 weeks here and there. We have a 9 week christmas break this year so i guess ill upgrade then. Get saving now :P

Hey Sponge,

Intel price drops just came into effect over the weekend. You can get a really nice core 2 duo setup really cheap now. Also, do you know about price comparison tools like http://www.shopbot.com.au and http://staticice.com.au?

When you figure out how much you want to spend, post here, and some will give recommendations on what to get :)