New to VR, how do you do stuff?

Neil Gardner

I’ve just set up and taken my first flight in a VR cockpit in DCS. It is wonderful, an incredible experience. However, I’ve now got so many questions. How do you guys use your joystick, flick switches (I get the basic idea but sometimes a switch goes one way and not another). What I mean is, what practical ways do you use to operate throttle, stick, etc. If there is a good guide I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Neil.

Hey Neil,

welcome to VR!!!

Firste of all - please have a look at this section of the forum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Here you will find a lot of information using VR in DCS.

Regarding your question, it is all about a nice and clean HOTAS setup. It doesn´t matter what kind of HOTAS system you use (TM warthog, Saitek etc.), but you need to have all the basic functions of the specific airplane mapped to your joystick & throttle and get used to it. It takes some time, but in the end you will find everything blind.

Additional functions can easily been done with a mouse click within your VR-cockpit.

Cheers,

MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

hi, and welcome to the wonder of VR flying, you'll never go back :)

Regarding dcs, i still use the mouse, it's at hand reach, and thanks to the ingame 3D mouse cursors, it's quite handy to click everywhere.

Map the hotas as the real one or follow advices from the Chuck guides, for the rest I find it easier to remember where to press a button in the VR cockpit rather than a tricky hotas binding, especially when flying different modules.

Have a really good HOTAS set and "learn it well". I have setup a modifier button that is assigned in DCS (Add modifier), that when held you can use all of the buttons on your hotas for something else e.g. Landing gear, hook F18, Flaps etc.

There is also an option in DCS VR settings that you can enable the VR look to click and have the mouse right and left click to the hotas controls. Not for me tho, you can give it a go and see if you like it? I just have the mouse close for a few things when needed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184352&d=1526102698

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

How do you guys use your joystick, flick switches(...)

For me I would say there's not much difference from pre-VR (trackir)

I find the VR zoom to be essential so I have that on an unshifted button. The VR centre is not so essential, so it's on the same button but with a shift..

The kneeboard has become essential for me, so I've had to map controls for that.

I use VAC for voice comms (only); but then I've always used that.

You might want to add which HOTAS you're using, as then people can show you their configs or post their config files, which you can adapt to something you like.

There's also an option for VR hands, which I've been meaning to try out.

Also, which headset are you using, as there are probably specifics to each one.

P.S. Take the red pill (or is it the blue one).

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks guys, lots to think on. I'm using Occllus Rift. This was actually my second flight as I had flown in DCS Beta but it was terrible, but having reverted to release it is much smoother. I have a HOTAS Wharthog at the mo, and I didn't know you could use the mouse. I've just been using rghe tough controllers.

I have a mouse with extra buttons, and I have now assigned my kneeboard commands to those, which seems to work well. Wish I'd thought of it before.

I'm using an X52 Pro, so can't suggest much RE your HOTAS. Usually I try to make it as similar to the real thing as possible, but practicality always comes first.

You might find

very helpful RE HOTAS setup.

I had a play using the Touch controllers yesterday. Shows promise, but (imho) is not ready for practical use yet.

g602.JPG.ce388bd61a740e4959ea5c7721b4fd35.JPG

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I've got the X-52, and alongside mapping all of the critical commands, I have the left and right click mouse buttons assigned to buttons on the joystick so I can look at a switch and not have to remove my hands from the HOtAS. I still use the mouse for stuff, but I like to minimize that.

Set all your key commands on your hotas (IMHO the best solution is to set real plane hotas switches on your phisical hotas, then most important and quick to reach commands - for example countermeasures - if you have buttons left). For all the other commands you have a clickable cockpit and you can use your mouse. To add a few voice commands for some particular and useful functions you can't add on your stick and throttle and want to be easily accessible is a good advice too (I have a voice command for "center view" VR function).

Edited by nessuno0505