leapMotion implementation possibility

Kariyann71

Kariyann, you are great for being so patient with me.

Unfortunately my Reverb died (black screen) and I am waiting on a replacement. I will give your instructions a try when it arrives.

COVID hasn’t screwed up HP replacements? Impressive.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 4 weeks later...

Kariyann

I gave this a go and thanks! You have the makings of something quite impressive. I got this running and managed to get some clicks and rotations going in the F/A 18.

Maybe I need some more adjusting and time.

I'm not sure what are the correct DCS VR settings, primarily if mouse control should be on or off. It seems to be better with the mouse off and just aim with my head. But I think it would work much better with the mouse being directed by my hands. I need time with some tinkering of sensitivity and offsets I guess. The DCS mouse pointer moves wildly and uncontrollably when moving my hands. Using head movement only remedies this, but I don't think that was your intention.

Getting right and left clicks recognized is still very quite difficult for me. I tried different sensitivities settings.

Rotating knobs is also very difficult. Seems to take a lot of real rotation for very minor virtual rotation.

Do you have any recommended settings in the main menu for DCLeap?

I get stuck as when I click on Start in DCLeap as I can't use my regular mouse anymore. There is no fall back to use the mouse in any window or DCS. I don't know how to stop (or pause) DCLeap so I can use the mouse instead. I've been alt-tabing and force close DCLeap to get the mouse back so I can exit a mission and navigate the DCS menus.

Overall, this is very impressive and I encourage you to continue working on this little gem.

Thanks heaps for all your time and effort!!

Edited by fherb

Kariyann

I gave this a go and thanks! You have the makings of something quite impressive. I got this running and managed to get some clicks and rotations going in the F/A 18.

Maybe I need some more adjusting and time.

I'm not sure what are the correct DCS VR settings, primarily if mouse control should be on or off. It seems to be better with the mouse off and just aim with my head. But I think it would work much better with the mouse being directed by my hands. I need time with some tinkering of sensitivity and offsets I guess. The DCS mouse pointer moves wildly and uncontrollably when moving my hands. Using head movement only remedies this, but I don't think that was your intention.

Getting right and left clicks recognized is still very quite difficult for me. I tried different sensitivities settings.

Rotating knobs is also very difficult. Seems to take a lot of real rotation for very minor virtual rotation.

Do you have any recommended settings in the main menu for DCLeap?

I get stuck as when I click on Start in DCLeap as I can't use my regular mouse anymore. There is no fall back to use the mouse in any window or DCS. I don't know how to stop (or pause) DCLeap so I can use the mouse instead. I've been alt-tabing and force close DCLeap to get the mouse back so I can exit a mission and navigate the DCS menus.

Overall, this is very impressive and I encourage you to continue working on this little gem.

Thanks heaps for all your time and effort!!

Thanks for your post.

When you start DCLeap, your LeapMotion will take control of your mouse and not only in DCS, in all Windows app.

When turned on, you'll see two colored squared (red and green) into your HMD. These squares illustrate that your hand is controlling your mouse.Then, if you turn both right and left palms in front of your face (all fingers extended) you'll disable this control and be able to get back to your hardware mouse.

About the sensitivity, what's your desktop resolution ?

About knob, if you use the last version of DCLeap available on github (https://github.com/kariyann/DCLeap), you'll notice that I changed the method of turning knob with palm.

Before, turn was based on wrist rotation velocity. It was not very accurate.

In the last version, you will have un neutral position, and if you rotate your palm left or right, and then keep the position, knob will be increased or decreased with an amount based on the duration. Back to neutral position and it's done.

Have look in the user's manual, there is more explanation.

Thanks again for your kinds words.

Corei7 2600K 4.4Ghz OC - NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb - 16 Gb DDR3

HP Reverb PRO HMD - Thrusmaster TWCS + TopGun Stick

Thanks for the reply Kariyann,

Sorry it's been a couple of days, I've been smashed at work.

My desktop resolution is 3440x1440 and I'm using an Odyssey + HMD.

I'll give some of your suggestions a go tonight on mouse control and rotation. I'm not sure if I understand your comments on knob rotation but I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Kariyann,

Thanks for your help. Works all OK for me and is a great addition to my experience!

Now that I know how to deactivate the hand control I've always got my mouse to fall back on. With practice I'm finding I'm using the mouse less and less.

Oddly enough I seem to have better control with my left hand over the right hand. It seems to recognise the trigger action much better on the left.

Using the external views it seems the mouse movement is causing the view to constantly rotate down and I can't stop it even with hand control deactivated. A minor annoyance.

Plus, after I start DCLeap I can't stop or exit. Always have to force close the program. Another minor annoyance.

Overall you've done some great work here, thanks!

Kariyann,

Thanks for your help. Works all OK for me and is a great addition to my experience!

Now that I know how to deactivate the hand control I've always got my mouse to fall back on. With practice I'm finding I'm using the mouse less and less.

Oddly enough I seem to have better control with my left hand over the right hand. It seems to recognise the trigger action much better on the left.

Using the external views it seems the mouse movement is causing the view to constantly rotate down and I can't stop it even with hand control deactivated. A minor annoyance.

Plus, after I start DCLeap I can't stop or exit. Always have to force close the program. Another minor annoyance.

Overall you've done some great work here, thanks!

Hello Fherb,

To close DCLeap, simply press LCTRL + Escape.

To avoid permanent rotating in outside view, you’ve to edit this file: SteamVR Leap Motion driver\leap\cfg\control_config.xml

<config>
   <param name="emulated_controller" value="index"/> <!--"vive" or "index"-->
   <param name="rightHand" value="true"/>
   <param name="leftHand" value="true"/>
   <param name="orientation" value="hmd"/> <!--"hmd" or "desktop"-->
   <param name="desktopRoot" value="0.0 -0.5 -0.5"/> <!--Only in desktop orientation-->
   <param name="rotationOffset" value="0.0 0.0 0.0"/> <!--Euler angle in radians-->
   <param name="skeleton" value="true"/> <!--Only Index controller-->
   <param name="trackingLevel" value="partial"/> <!--"partial" or "full", only Index controller-->

<param name="input" value="true"/>
   <param name="menu" value="true"/>
   <param name="appMenu" value="true"/> <!--Only Vive controller-->
   <param name="trigger" value="true"/>
   <param name="grip" value="true"/>
   <param name="touchpad" value="true"/>
   <param name="touchpadTouch" value="true"/>
   <param name="touchpadPress" value="true"/>
   <param name="touchpadAxes" value="true"/>
   <param name="buttonA" value="true"/> <!--Only Index controller-->
   <param name="buttonB" value="true"/> <!--Only Index controller-->
   <param name="thumbstick" value = "true"/> <!--Only Index controller-->
</config>

Be aware that this modification affect Leap control in all SteamVR games. So if you use Leap in other games, make a backup and restore it when wanted.

Glad you like DCLeap.

More features incoming...

I can't find that control_config.xml file.

My driver directory doesn't have a cfg folder only a bin folder. It looks like this:

C:\Program Files\SteamVR Leap Motion driver\leap\bin\win32 or win64.

I also searched for the filename and couldn't find it.

I can't find that control_config.xml file.

My driver directory doesn't have a cfg folder only a bin folder. It looks like this:

C:\Program Files\SteamVR Leap Motion driver\leap\bin\win32 or win64.

I also searched for the filename and couldn't find it.

Take a look under this path :

Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers

or this one

Steam\config\leap

Thanks guys,

I've never had this much trouble finding a file ;)

I've looked in:

C:\Games\Steam\config\leap\

C:\Games\Steam\drivers\

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\leap\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\

C:\Program Files\SteamVR Leap Motion driver\leap

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Leap Motion

...and completed filename searches.

Is it possible I don't have this file?

Hi guys,

I think I found it.

The file is now called settings.xml

For me it was located here:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\leap\resources

Maybe I have a new version of the drivers.

Still I changed the file to match what you wrote and the external view still has uncontrollable rotation.

Edited by fherb

Hi. I do see the lights in DCS and they responds to my palm gesture. However, I’m not seeing any mouse cursor movement or DCS hands. Also, I’m not able to control or see the controls in cliff house with hand/fingers.

Please help!

Best regards

Hi guys,

I think I found it.

The file is now called settings.xml

For me it was located here:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\leap\resources

Maybe I have a new version of the drivers.

Still I changed the file to match what you wrote and the external view still has uncontrollable rotation.

Try to disable all Vive controller entries in DCS commands menu

Hi. I do see the lights in DCS and they responds to my palm gesture. However, I’m not seeing any mouse cursor movement or DCS hands. Also, I’m not able to control or see the controls in cliff house with hand/fingers.

Please help!

Best regards

Hi,

I found this post today (#5278)

https://www.driver4vr.com/forums/topic/controllers-not-showing-up-in-steamvr-using-leap-motion/

Maybe it could help you

From the first post, originally:

DCLeap is not compatible with Oculus and PiMAX

But later on:

Also modified the management of the mouse control script, possibility of improvement for Rift and Pimax users.

I am using Rift S. Does anyone have this working with the Rift S?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From the first post, originally:

But later on:

I am using Rift S. Does anyone have this working with the Rift S?

I haven't tried it yet but will look at it sometime soon. VRK kneeboard app does add Leap Motion integration for Oculus if this doesn't work. This is definitely a more mature app for Leap Motion than VRK right now.

Also in a post after the 1.09 announcement you quoted (and latest version of the manual from May 5th backs this up):

Are you using a PiMAX or Oculus HMD ?

Because DCLeap doesn't work with these HMD.

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Well, for the time being, the Rift S remains my VR headset. Hopefully, at some point, the Rift S will get hand tracking enabled. But Oculus has found the money in standalone VR, so they seem to be treating PC hardware and application support as secondary considerations.

I will get a new VR headset and build a new PC to support it whenever the tech for both makes a big enough jump to justify the cost.

In the mean time, it would be nice if Leap Motion worked with the Rift S, but such is my luck that it doesn't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, for the time being, the Rift S remains my VR headset. Hopefully, at some point, the Rift S will get hand tracking enabled. But Oculus has found the money in standalone VR, so they seem to be treating PC hardware and application support as secondary considerations.

I will get a new VR headset and build a new PC to support it whenever the tech for both makes a big enough jump to justify the cost.

In the mean time, it would be nice if Leap Motion worked with the Rift S, but such is my luck that it doesn't.

Yeah I have a Pimax 5k+ on the way but of course that won't help with this app.

But again check out VRK, it's a great app for VR kneeboard functionality and does support Leap Motion hand tracking with Oculus but it's a lot more basic than DCSLeap

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

So, with VRK up and running you can use Leap Motion to operate buttons, knobs, and switches with hand gestures?

Yes, but it's aside branch of the software that is relatively new, doesn't have the gestures DCSLeap has. Think more like what you can do with the Oculus controllers, so no pinch, ejection, salute to launch, etc. Right now maybe more something to check out and give feedback on how to support it better since there is a small set of us that have both a Rift S and a Leap Motion.

Yes, but it's aside branch of the software that is relatively new, doesn't have the gestures DCSLeap has. Think more like what you can do with the Oculus controllers, so no pinch, ejection, salute to launch, etc. Right now maybe more something to check out and give feedback on how to support it better since there is a small set of us that have both a Rift S and a Leap Motion.

Hello,

You’ve an Oculus and a LeapMotion, If you want to help me to get DCLeap working with Oculus, just download Unity. After we could chat on Discord to explain you have to debug DCLeap behavior with Unity.

Hello,

You’ve an Oculus and a LeapMotion, If you want to help me to get DCLeap working with Oculus, just download Unity. After we could chat on Discord to explain you have to debug DCLeap behavior with Unity.

Ok, will do!

EDIT to add:

I think I have everything installed. Now I get both the Oculus and the Leap Motion "HTC controllers" in SteamVR which is cool! When I run DCLeap, I get the hands and the red and green squares in the SteamVR house. Problem is of course when I run DCS, Oculus Home seems to take over and the Leap Motion input isn't there anymore, but at least it seems like I have everything else working and ready to try the workaround with Unity!

Edited by Snake122

Hello,

I have Rift S + Leam Motion attached to VR front panel. So if you need help I can install unity, sit with you in Discord, and even make for you closed live stream for debugging and etc. So if you like this send me your Discord

:sly: Intel i9 9900K | RTX 2080ti | 64gb DDR4 | m2 SSD 512 gb + 512 gb + SSD 512 gb + HDD 2 tb | Saitek X-52 :joystick: | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO | Rift S :pilotfly:

I have Rift S + Leam Motion attached to VR front panel. So if you need help I can install unity, sit with you in Discord, and even make for you closed live stream for debugging and etc. So if you like this send me your Discord

Hey,

I've been following the thread for a while now and just want to share something I found across the board. There is a Valve Index Emulator driver for the LeapMotion:https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap

I just disabled all buttons and other gestures in the settings and can now easily press the buttons in DCS. At least in 2.5.5. 2.5.6. you don't just "press it" but press the B key, which is very unintuitive.

The driver has only one small quirk - the hands have a rotation offset. I already tried to fix that myself, but the driver was compiled with Visual Studio 2013. Under Windows 10 I only run VS 2017&2019 and there are a lot of errors. The thing is really 1A, except for this twist. I will try to set up Win7 in a virtual machine with VS2013 soon.

Hey,

I've been following the thread for a while now and just want to share something I found across the board. There is a Valve Index Emulator driver for the LeapMotion:https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap

That's one of the drivers you install for DCLeap. It works in a SteamVR app but with the Rift (S), DCS automatically uses the Oculus Home software when you launch it in VR.