Help with identifying weak spot

Linhael

Hi.

I have some serious issues with performance of DCS. I run DCS 2.5.2 and it was installed that way (no upgrade from older versions). I'll start with my specs:

Intel Core i5 6400

16GB DDR4 RAM (2400MHz)

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB OC Armor

SSD on SATA3

I run the game on medium settings on 1080p to get decent framerate and I have to tweak it a lot to play on my native 4K display. Also when play VR I need to lower the details a lot to make the game look ugly (like in 90s). Yesterday first time tried to fly with some people online and the game worked terrible. On low details in VR I get like 15 FPS max (even less). Constant freezes when head tracking and after couple minutes game just crashed to desktop. I know I don't have high end specs but still decent machine and as I read more and more it should run smoothly on ultra at 1080p and should have no problem running high at 4K or go VR without any compromises.

What can I do, check, change, upgrade or anything to make the game be really ejoyable in multiplayer? I really need to use VR because flying fully clickable cockpit plane without head tracking is hard and less enjoyable, also VR makes sim experience full.

Hi.

I have some serious issues with performance of DCS. I run DCS 2.5.2 and it was installed that way (no upgrade from older versions). I'll start with my specs:

Intel Core i5 6400

16GB DDR4 RAM (2400MHz)

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB OC Armor

SSD on SATA3

I run the game on medium settings on 1080p to get decent framerate and I have to tweak it a lot to play on my native 4K display. Also when play VR I need to lower the details a lot to make the game look ugly (like in 90s). Yesterday first time tried to fly with some people online and the game worked terrible. On low details in VR I get like 15 FPS max (even less). Constant freezes when head tracking and after couple minutes game just crashed to desktop. I know I don't have high end specs but still decent machine and as I read more and more it should run smoothly on ultra at 1080p and should have no problem running high at 4K or go VR without any compromises.

What can I do, check, change, upgrade or anything to make the game be really ejoyable in multiplayer? I really need to use VR because flying fully clickable cockpit plane without head tracking is hard and less enjoyable, also VR makes sim experience full.

Your specs do not meet with reccomended requirments for VR...

and btw what VR are you using??? rift,vive, etc ?

The post is a bit confsing: are you using VR, 1080p or 4k ????

for VR you need fast cpu , fast ram, and a proper GPU , at least a 1080ti or even better a new 2080ti.

Also you could try using this mod for VR https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

Edited by Goa

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Based on that setup, I'd say RAM primarily, and maybe you'd need a slight GPU upgrade. 2.5 brought with it increased RAM usage in general, and complex MP environments will happily eat even more to the point where even ED were making indistinct noises about how maybe 32GB was a good idea under certain circumstances.

On the graphics side (and I'm coming from the nVidia perspective since that's what I use), any 10-series card should be sufficient, and from what I understand, the 580 comparatively sits roughly on the lower end of that spectrum. So yeah, maybe a slight bump there as a secondary measure.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I actually get by with VR on my Odyssey with my 980Ti but - had to lower some settings to get at least a steady 45fps @ 1.0 PD/SS. (at altitude sometimes I start getting 60-80FPS but mostly ASW kicks in while I'm flying) I still run msaa 2x however, to reduce shimmering.. which has a huge impact on FPS.

That being said - when running at high resolutions or VR - The GPU is bottlenecking so hard that I could drop my CPU clockspeeds to 3.7ghz and not notice a difference in performance.

#1 make sure steam isn't trying to do some rediculous amount of Supersampling. It tries to guess how much SS your system can handle and ime it's not very good at doing so. In this screenshot you'll notice it recommends 126% SS for me, when I first started using my Odyssey it defaulted to like 185%. And yeah, no. People with Rift or Vive already have to supersample to obtain the Odyssey's resolution/image clarity. Maybe after a GPU upgrade I might be able to get away with pixel density increases, which I would change in DCS rather than SteamVR.

capture1.PNG.0fdb20315cea5dfc7cbe0add67f51fda.PNG

#2 The image quality in VR is just never going to be as pretty as it looks on your monitor even with supersampling, largely to do with the screen door effect. But - even on Medium textures and low landscape textures, over time your eyes adjust to what you're doing and personally - I don't really mind the lower quality.. although I am in the process of working up funds for a 2080Ti to replace my 980Ti. (not that we know much about how the card will perform yet. I've just been waiting for a new GPU for awhle now because I decided to run on a fancy high res 21:9 monitor and a WMR headset with the same resolution as the Vive Pro, my 980Ti handles most games well at 3440x1440, but flight sims tend to make my 980Ti show it's limitations). The more I fly DCS in VR the more impressed I am with it, and how good it looks even @ lower settings.

#3 in game start with PD 1.0 and see how it performs.

I can't speak for the RX 580, but when stepping into the realm of high resolutions and VR especially in combat flight sims, the demand for GPU power is real, and AMD just hasn't been competing with Nvidia in that department lately.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.