Matt's Hybrid VR Pit

xray20

I have been experimenting with a VR cockpit that has tactile controls in the right position.

Using Rexroth aluminium framing I can adjust the position of the controls in 3 dimensions so they are in exactly the same position that the VR image says they should be.

Positioning of the HOTAS and the gear switch was fairly straightforward.

Last week I installed two DDIs. This was the biggest test as the image and reality had to be correct within about a centimetre. It works.

I can reach out and touch any of the DDI buttons and they are pretty much exactly where my hand/eye coordination says they should be.

I found that the rig must be adjustable for this approach to work. The final position of the DDIs is not where I estimated them to be. For some reason they are slightly asymmetric, even though my VR image is carefully centred.

Additionally I have put tactile bumps on my keyboard using Sugru. These emphasise the important keys (F1, F5, F10, alt, @ etc.) and allow me to access out-of-sim controls without breaking immersion.

Great work, I also use MFDs in front of my VR seat, but use the rift's nose-peek "capability" to push the Harrier MFD butons for example...

The wheel lever looks really cool, simple and functional...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Great job! Your cockpit is the first one I have seen to really utilize what I have been thinking about for a while now. I want to build something similar to this... but I want to slide in complete front panels and left consoles, possibly right consoles, too. All with special connectors so interface with USB control boards that never move when you swap out panels. A key aspect is having adjustable sliders and pivots so that the height, depth, and angle of every major surface can be readily adjusted to match the particular cockpit.

For VR, all you need is physical switches, knobs, and levers. No need for functional gauges and CRTs, which really lowers the cost and complexity. This is the way to go. Of course, if you are like me, you still want to have the option to use a large flat panel display rather than VR, supporting an LCD behind the MFDs to provide both MFD crt displays and gauges would still be a great option if you have the time and money to mess with it. I have neither right now, so I am content to watch others like yourself perfect the implementation of the cockpit I will eventually have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]