External fuel tank usage

mcfleck

Hi guys,

doing some longer missions recently I used the 3 droptank loadout for the hornet and came accross some oddities (at least in my oppinion).

I thought if you use external tanks, you want to get rid of them as soon as possible due to the drag they produce. Normally I would assume you first want to clear your wings with the highest priority.

So I would expect that the fuel pumps first use all the external wing tanks and only when they are empty switch to the center tank.

What I observed is, that the fuel is drained equally from all external fuel tanks. That is not the most efficient method I think.

I use to stop the fuel flow from the center tank manually untill the ext. wingtanks are empty but i get a warning doing this.

So what is the supposed procedure? Is it really meant to be that way that in "auto" mode all external tanks will be used equally without any deeper logic?

U need to look up the fuel system in the real hornet manual :)

Very complex system :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So you want to rationalise the fuel usage on external tanks by prioritising certain tanks to be fed from over others?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

In real life they never drop the tanks unless it is a real emergency at which point they probably want to ditch them all regardless of what's in them.

And for this reason it makes sense to drain them at an equal rate.

They probably didn't have dcs multiplayer in mind when they designed the fuel-flow logic in the f18 :)

So you want to rationalise the fuel usage on external tanks by prioritising certain tanks to be fed from over others?
Basically yes.

The internal tanks are fed by the external already.

So if your external tanks are dry, you will still have a full internal fuel load.

A simple logic by default would be enough:

If external tanks' fuel state > 0

Then stop using the external centerline tank

I have not seen this logic in the hornet and that is what I was curious about. I am not 100% sure, but as far as I can remember the F16 did it that way (my memmory can be wrong, have not touched the other sim for a long while).

Assuming this specifically is not WIP, what is the common procedure for this case? Manual override? Or just use it as it is and drop all the tanks simultaneously?

Maybe i should do some measurements and see if there is a difference, but theoretically there should one.

• 5 months later...