DELETE PLEASE MODS

LORD FLASHEART

Thanks Fropa, when we were putting the SOP together we deliberately left a lot out because it’s easy to get stuck in the weeds and the time blows out. Barney’s flight was perfect because you get to see a bearing line join where there’s errors and you can see my reactions trying to correct the join up.

Also it highlight how important it is to be gentle with your bank angle and speed changes.

The other thing it shows is when it’s PLAT night there is so much going on and a ten minute flight comes down to a 15 second chance to do one good approach. You only get one shot and it’s stressful!

You might be interested in this thread Jar: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225991

Matt has put quite a lot of work into the Carrier landing geometry and IFLOLS as implemented in DCS.

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a deeper explanation of flying the DCS F/A-18C around the aircraft carrier stack with a join up and commence as flown by me on a PLAT cam night.

It even solves the mystery of why I keep catching 4 wires! Check my AOA just before touchdown, I think I'm getting too low AOA and lifting my hook up just enough to miss the 3.

It's a bit of fun but it was one of our new guys in the lead and he highlights some very common mistakes which make for great training.

Further investigation of the IFLOLS in game has uncovered more magical corrections. I'll be doing a video on it soon. Bankler and I have reverse engineered the IFLOLS focal point by debugging eyepoint position and doing some work in CAD. Basically, since the Stennis model is wrong, we have to decide which "wrong" we want to deal with. Based on the physical position of the IFLOLS as modeled in game, it should put you in the 2 wire. You can adjust the plat cam eyepoint position to correct you into a 3 wire if you'd like, but we discovered that the IFLOLS has you on a deeper path than that; it puts you in the 4 wire if you fly a perfect ball. Also, since their focal point is way too far forward you will see an exaggerated movement of the ball close in. Granted, their ball model works by lighting up the entire cell rather than the thin slit the passes through each cell on the real one, effectively giving you more resolution. (Though in the real ones, the slit appears to cover the whole cell the further out you are, so maybe this was an intentional compromise....but I kinda doubt it). You're not crazy if it puts you in a 4 wire, especially if you ascribe to the "keep the ball energized" theory. Since there is no perfectly centered ball, ideally it should be flickering between the middle two all the way down.

Stennis_Focal_Point_Text.PNG

ETA: I uncovered a small error in my numbers for extracting the DCS focal meatball focal point. I was making a plat cam overlay for OBS and realized the error in my method. After fixing the error, the hook appears to be aimed directly at the 3 wire on a 3.5 degree glide slope. The part I overlooked is that a 3.5 degree glide slope occurs mid way down the 1st ball below center. (There is no center ball by the way; 6 above & 6 below center). So catching a 4 wire if you're keeping the first ball above center lit, makes complete sense.

Edited by Matthew10_28
Technical error in statement

Further investigation of the IFLOLS in game has uncovered more magical corrections. I'll be doing a video on it soon. Bankler and I have reverse engineered the IFLOLS focal point by debugging eyepoint position and doing some work in CAD. Basically, since the Stennis model is wrong, we have to decide which "wrong" we want to deal with. Based on the physical position of the IFLOLS as modeled in game, it should put you in the 2 wire. You can adjust the plat cam eyepoint position to correct you into a 3 wire if you'd like, but we discovered that the IFLOLS has you on a deeper path than that; it puts you in the 4 wire if you fly a perfect ball. Also, since their focal point is way too far forward you will see an exaggerated movement of the ball close in. Granted, their ball model works by lighting up the entire cell rather than the thin slit the passes through each cell on the real one, effectively giving you more resolution. (Though in the real ones, the slit appears to cover the whole cell the further out you are, so maybe this was an intentional compromise....but I kinda doubt it). You're not crazy if it puts you in a 4 wire, especially if you ascribe to the "keep the ball energized" theory. Since there is no perfectly centered ball, ideally it should be flickering between the middle two all the way down.

Stennis_Focal_Point_Text.PNG

this blows my mind. I have noticed (since we last talked) that I have been catching 4's only when really flying the ball in. Very interesting.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Thanks Fropa.

Yeah I hate hearing how mean I sound correcting poor Barney every 5 mins which is why I’m acting like such an over the top jerk in the first part :)

Barney is new but doing good. I couldn’t have asked for a better flight in showcasing common mistakes people make in port holding or as a flight lead.

If you're acting as his IP, that's just part of the job. Although typically brand new guys don't start out as section leads.

The only thing I will say is you yelled at him for doing a SH break. -5 cool points on that one. :lol:

Ha ha cheers Mover, it wasn’t the SHB that worried me, it was the airspeed fluctuations causing me grief. Our SOP is 350 in the break and we went to 410. We had another squadron visiting and didn’t want to look messy.

Matthew I flew a LOT of approaches last night checking this out.

I have a new theory now that something else is happening to my AOA, does anyone know if ground effect is modelled?

I recorded 2 passes for a video and the one that’s a perfect 3 wire the ball was centered nicely coming across the ramp. The one where I got a 4 wire the ball was slightly high at the ramp - in the wires. So am going to try flying a less energised ball for a while and see if I can’t get back on the 3s.

Hi guys,

This is a bit of a deeper explanation of flying the DCS F/A-18C around the aircraft carrier stack with a join up and commence as flown by me on a PLAT cam night.

It even solves the mystery of why I keep catching 4 wires! Check my AOA just before touchdown, I think I'm getting too low AOA and lifting my hook up just enough to miss the 3.

It's a bit of fun but it was one of our new guys in the lead and he highlights some very common mistakes which make for great training.

sOgHs-u2pWM

Very cool video.

one great addition to your cockpit that looks like mine would be this---

Extend your stick by 10cm and fix it 10cm lower.

The increased précision you will get fro, this will blow your mind

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Not so technical....

Zoomed way in, in Photoshop, I'm a pixel low lol.

From the video I posted testing out Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200700&stc=1&d=1545874116

EDIT

From taking the next shot (Hook hit) It looks to me that flying a "perfect ball" you maybe will "just catch" the 3 wire?

Look at the ball in this shot. Also, exactly where should the hook hit when center ball? Dead center between the wires?

The IFLOLS possibly needs to be moved back half the wire distance? or lowered (GS correct?). It looks to be set to land right on the 3 wire.

Edit again, I didn't take my time editing this. So the two images are out a frame....It still looks a little off?

3-wire_Ball_Center.thumb.jpg.0624828c5f62d936110781ed73737549.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I uncovered a small error in my numbers for extracting the DCS focal meatball focal point. I was making a plat cam overlay for OBS and realized the error in my method. After fixing the error, the hook appears to be aimed directly at the 3 wire on a 3.5 degree glide slope. The part I overlooked is that a 3.5 degree glide slope occurs mid way down the 1st ball below center. (There is no center ball by the way; 6 above & 6 below center). So catching a 4 wire if you're keeping the first ball above center lit, makes complete sense.