Maximum trap weight damage

VFA41_Lion

F/A-18C NATOPS says absolute maximum weight at 'restricted' values should be 34,000 pounds. I have successfully trapped at nearly 45,000 lbs of weight. Is this a bug or is the gear/airframe actually rated to withstand that weight?

Unfortunately I forgot to save a track, but the descent rate while on AoA and glideslope was approximately -500 feet per minute.

edit: loadout was 2* aim-9x, 3* fuel tanks, 4* gbu-16, 2* aim-7mh on fuselage

Edited by NPOSuperhornet
i forgot a word

Is this a bug or is the gear/airframe actually rated to withstand that weight?

I wouldn't call it a "bug", more likely it is one of those situations where gameplay wins out over realism. Does anyone really want to sit in a multiplayer server waiting for people to dump fuel before landing?

Also if they do plan to make it realistic somehow, I would imagine that is faaar down the list of priorities at this point.

Does anyone really want to sit in a multiplayer server waiting for people to dump fuel before landing?

Actually, yes, I think a majority of people here would want that. It’s kind of the point of this “as real as possible” thing. You could still jettison bags and weapons if you want to hit the deck quick, but there should absolutely be consequences for slamming down seriously overweight. Damage modeling is supposed to be getting some attention eventually, which is good, because the Hornet needs it in almost every aspect.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

My guess is that the limit is to avoid over-stressing components of the landing gear and airframe, rather than damage manifesting itself immediately.

If that's the case there doesn't seem much point implementing it when you being every mission in a brand new plane.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Sure, with a hard landing irl the jet would be grounded for a thorough nose to tail internal and external inspection, structural points, frame alignment, controls rigging, etc.

But I’d be surprised if you slammed the boat at a full 45,000k lb weight, 900+fpm decent, there weren’t some visible tangible consequences. Blown tire or gear piston, maybe even losing a something from the hardpoints.

My point is that if it would happen to the jet in real life, the expectation among most of the simmers here (or at least the long-timers) is that ED replicate it in sim to the extent that they’re able. And that includes fuel management when approaching the boat and consequences for exceeding airframe load tolerances.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Depends how hard you try - I've never broken a wire, but I did bend the gear landing hard and heavy after catching the wire on one of my first attempts landing on the carrier (flying TVV into the elbow, pre flying the ball)…

So - maybe the margin of safety is higher than you expect, but there are consequences modelled for landing too heavy W/ too high a sink rate...

Cheers.