Do I need to change the weapon selector to fire IR or Radar missiles?

DarkStar79

Do I need to change the weapon selector to fire IR or Radar missiles?

It seems that if I put the IR/Radar switch in IR mode it always launch IR missiles regardless if the weapon selector is turned on station 1,2,3,or 4. It seems like I dont have to turn the weapon selector any longer to fire IR or radar missiles? Have they changed that?

Waaaaay long ago the module used to require you to set the station and type before it would fire any missile. This was incorrect modeling.

The station and type are priority selections. They will fire from the station you select if there is a missile on that station and its type matches the type priority. If not then it will fire the next missile in that station's priority list that matches the priority type. If there are no missiles of the priority type then it will fire the next missile in the priority sequence regardless of type.

Station 1: 1,2,3,4

Station 2: 2,1,3,4

Station 3: 3,4,1,2

Station 4: 4,1,2,3

As such four missiles of any type may be fired without adjustment to switch positions with weapon station and weapon type switches set to any position. The next missile to fire will obey the type priority switch unless there are no more missiles of that type carried.

Yea i saw that also, that its the same lock tone for both. Feels kind of wierd...

Im not entirely sure but I think it was brought up. It is more of a "Launch Authorized" sound on MiG21bis and not seeker head itself. I think the MiG29 IRL also has a launch tone for R-27 semi active missiles.

Im not entirely sure but I think it was brought up. It is more of a "Launch Authorized" sound on MiG21bis and not seeker head itself. I think the MiG29 IRL also has a launch tone for R-27 semi active missiles.

True, Robert Hierl clearly said the "hear the tone"...

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Waaaaay long ago the module used to require you to set the station and type before it would fire any missile. This was incorrect modeling.

The station and type are priority selections. They will fire from the station you select if there is a missile on that station and its type matches the type priority. If not then it will fire the next missile in that station's priority list that matches the priority type. If there are no missiles of the priority type then it will fire the next missile in the priority sequence regardless of type.

Station 1: 1,2,3,4

Station 2: 2,1,3,4

Station 3: 3,4,1,2

Station 4: 4,1,2,3

As such four missiles of any type may be fired without adjustment to switch positions with weapon station and weapon type switches set to any position. The next missile to fire will obey the type priority switch unless there are no more missiles of that type carried.

Interesting. Has the manual been updated for this change or does it still describe the old logic?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The manual does not make definitive statements either way. It doesn't appear to have been updated.

Thank you for this valuable information!

I've always been confused about how the weapon selector actually works.

Anyways, I feel that the manual is outdated in many ways.. :(

So getting back into the Mig21 is quite a struggle, since I always have to wonder if issue X is my fault or if it's just buggy (like the navigation).