Improved Hornet damage model

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

Let’s be clear here, the f-18 is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to DCS and maybe perhaps to any flight sim so I am not just here to gripe! I am also well aware of the fact that the f-18 is a work in progress and that there are many things to be worked out. Many updates have been mentioned for the further and I along with everyone else are looking forward to them. One thing that has not been mentioned yet, which concerns me, is the damage model. Getting right to the point the F-18 in DCS is essentially a paper airplane. Pretty much any hit from almost every weapon is instant death. I’d say that there is about a 10% chance of survival from most weapons if you are to get hit. Now clearly, getting shot with guns or missiles is not safe for any airplane driver, but this is a bit too much, at least compared to other models in the simulator. I am just wondering if this is something that will be tweaked or if it is final.

Damage model is far from finished.

Fighter jets in real life (f16 and f-18) are delicate girls and fragile. So avoid getting shot sir ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't experienced such deadliness with ground fire, but SAMs will instantly kill my pilot even if the missile only takes a wing off.

“Only takes my wing off” I would have thought if a missile exploded close enough to destroy one of your wings completely I’d expect to get fragged by some of the fragments of the missile warhead at that range. A hit to the back end would be more survivable by a pilot giving you time to eject but getting pilot killed in your scenario doesn’t surprise me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.