Radio Transmission "Power Wattage" too high

ScopeDope

Dear ED,

Please consider turning down the effect of the Radio transmission with regard to signal strength. It is a pretty great feature, simulating cutting out and static when low/far from the transmitter but as it is now, it is too strong.

Example:

Power set to 1W (minimum), I am simulating an ELT signal and it comes in loud and clear at over 200nm at 10,000ft.

I am a professional ATC and from my experience an ELT is generally strong enough to break squelch at rougly a 40-50nm radius from about 30,000ft. Low altitude reports are significantly more localized.

From my quick research it seems that ELTs transmit with a .1 to 5 W level. Please decrease the range at which a signal is full power, and implement a stronger "curve" to the Wattage and reception distance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Emergency locator transmitters have an output power of 50 mW min on 121.5MHz for 50 hours(although many are higher @200mW) and 5W on 406MHz for 24 hours. In game beacons should be the lower frequency/power type for civilian use SAR, not sure about what military would use but the 406MHz ones are used by satellite tracking.

I can talk to the astronauts on the international space station with my 5Watt walkie talkie and that is 250 miles away (yes I have a license), the same rig gets about 5-10 miles across the ground because of buildings and geographical obstacles attenuating the signal, unobstructed line of sight is the key to range.

The FCC wants to phase out 121.5MHz SAR aircraft systems in favour of 406MHz satellite tracking but is being met with fierce opposition. Some also use a third frequency of 243 MHz.

here is a link to a pdf of an ELT https://www.dallasavionics.com/artex/elt3000_spec.pdf

Edited by Auntystatic