Phoenix Tracking Question (notching Missile, vs AWG9)

OnlyforDCS

The missile lofts based on distance to target, ED recently helped us get access to control loft and if the seekerhead is in active or semi-active.

In regards to the more advanced seekerhead functions like the one you initially described, we'd very much like to implement those and likely will in the future with help from ED.

In regards to the MLC you are indeed correct in that it's very hard to notch the AWG-9 in a look-up situation, the only hard filter is, like mentioned, the zero doppler filter +/- 100 knots from own aircraft speed (heading away from own aircraft) as this makes the relative closure rate around 0.

Thanks for the reply Naquaii. It's reassuring to know that you will keep working at it! I was hoping that lofting would also take in other parameters such as altitude separation, but Ill take distance if I can get it! Much better than nothing I guess :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks for the reply Naquaii. It's reassuring to know that you will keep working at it! I was hoping that lofting would also take in other parameters such as altitude separation, but Ill take distance if I can get it! Much better than nothing I guess :thumbup:

Well, it's not only distance, my bad, but we do at least have control over it.

The seekerhead active state and the lofting control might not be in the initial EA release but if so it'll be one of the first things added in an update.

Well, it's not only distance, my bad, but we do at least have control over it.

The seekerhead active state and the lofting control might not be in the initial EA release but if so it'll be one of the first things added in an update.

Awesome stuff! Thanks again, my obsession is aerial combat especially BVR it's great to know you guys are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in DCS even in this little niche. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Does this mean that the AIM-54 fired in STT will be purely SARH?

Yes. The Phoenix is pure SARH when guided with a PD STT lock. From the manual:

In pulse doppler STT the AIM-54 uses SARH all the way to the target receiving guidance commands at a greater rate than in TWS and also continous spotlighting of the target because of the STT mode being used. This increases the effective range of the AIM-54 seeker slightly.

I do believe though that this can be set-up prior to launch, there is a tidbit in the manual about this but it's not entirely clear.

But shouldn't chaff discrimination be reliant on actual speed, not relative?

Assuming an F-14 is chasing a contact from slightly below and a delta-v of 0, any chaff dropped to spoof the radar would almost immediately slow down to ambient wind speeds.

I don't see how disabling the MLC filter against a target above the horizon can even affect chaff discrimination as chaff would have a delta-v much slower than 133 kts over the vast majority of its lifetime.

Naquaii, I am eagerly waiting to see the capability to guide 6 AIM-54 simultaneously in TWS - have not seen that in any of the videos/streams.

Is this possible in the current state of the module?

Yes, it's in and working.

That will allow the customer to experience the realistic ability of the Tomcat to simultaneously take out two fighters, two bombers, a satellite and a submerged submarine, all without an AWG9 lock.

giphy.gif

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Hey jabbers I’m almost inrested I’m seeing a multi Phoenix launch in TWS mode on say some bank era and fighter size aircraft would it be possible for you do to that in one of your videos think all I’ve seen is STT launches and ACM launch overrides so far thanks for all the great videos

Hey jabbers I’m almost inrested I’m seeing a multi Phoenix launch in TWS mode on say some bank era and fighter size aircraft would it be possible for you do to that in one of your videos think all I’ve seen is STT launches and ACM launch overrides so far thanks for all the great videos

Here you go, Magz firing off Phoenix missiles in various modes including TWS.

Here is Jabber's three hour long stream where he among other things also fires Phoenix missiles in TWS mode:

Yes. The Phoenix is pure SARH when guided with a PD STT lock. From the manual:

I do believe though that this can be set-up prior to launch, there is a tidbit in the manual about this but it's not entirely clear.

I know it's meant to, but HB had said this was not going to be modelled for EA

I know it's meant to, but HB had said this was not going to be modelled for EA

I know, but it will be modeled at some point after EA, which is good enough for me :)