[NO BUG] F-14B Liftiness, springiness and pigliness

vparez

Hi All,

I just tried the Tomcat briefly and noticed a couple of things which kind of surprised me.

Not saying anything is wrong or whatever, just very very rough first glance observations.

Here they are:

- Seems like the F14 is a turn n burn monster. Easily beats the AI su27 in the guns only instant action fight. Mirage seems to lose E like a pig compared to F14 in a tight turn.

- A breeze to land on the deck. 2 half-assed attempts to land, both successful. Caught 1 wire but hell, I was profusely sweating to land the F18 for the first time... Even with the crap resolution of the HUD, the F14 lands itself. And how about that clear view from the pilot seat down the nose... wow! For someone used to fly warbirds onto carriers in the digital realm, the F14 feels like there is no cockpit at all when it comes to unobstructed view down the glide slope! Also, super easy to get back power... engine response immediate!

- Flaps down feel better than nozzle angle of 70deg in the Harrier. Just kept going up and up and up, like a baloon! Yay!

- The F14 has no trouble taking off under its own power only! A couple of thousand gallons of fuel aboard only and no weapons, F14 takes off from stennis' forward catapult without so much as a twitch! (edit: without using the catapult, just to be clear)

Anyways, that's the "observations". i don't have any data to back anything up nor am I looking for anything to prove, but I just feel that the FM is a bit too much... lifty? Engines a bit too ... springy? The huge plane not enough... pigly?

I would characterize the overall ability of the F14B in all the aspects I tried as: Super easy, barely an inconvenience! :thumbup:

Or maybe its just my brand new stick and throttle?! :megalol:

Cheers!

Edited by IronMike

Now try A2A refuelling

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Couple things I've noticed in all of these messages on here.

a high aspect ratio wings (wings at less than 22-25 degrees, like a glider, like the A10. Does the following, low induced drag which means great sustain turn rate because the thrust requirement is low. Which is the opposite of a low aspect wing like an f-15 or the mirage and where you have a lot more induced drag thus thrust requirement is higher in turns.

as I explained on grim reapers video, the aerodynamic Center on the F-14 moves to the rear as the wing sweep app or as you increase wing sweep angle Gus you lose your maneuverability and turn performance.. and like I stated above, as the wings move back your aspect ratio changes from high to low and the thrust requirement changes.

From what I've been reading also, I'm assuming that they modeled ground effect on the F-14?

now who am I? You can ask hey Joe, but I worked on several military flight simulations for the dod and as well as the civilian world.

will every type of graphical errors on this? Probably so cuz I talk to my phone doing this

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk