Using Lantirn with dumb-bombs?

starmat

Hi guys

I know you can use the Lantirn system to designate a ground target via the laser in the F14. But, is there a way to designate a target via the Lantirn that we can convert over for the pilot to use with our non-laser guided bombs?

Or perhaps just use the built-in camera?

thanks guys!!

You have CCIP and CCRP computer available in the RIO seat. They're not called that, the one is tgt and the other IP or something similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Hi guys

I know you can use the Lantirn system to designate a ground target via the laser in the F14. But, is there a way to designate a target via the Lantirn that we can convert over for the pilot to use with our non-laser guided bombs?

thanks guys!!

Using the LANTIRN-Pod to designate targets for dumb bombs should work exactly the same as for laser guided bombs.

So, you take off with a bunch of dumb bombs (e.g. Mk82) and a LANTIRN pod, head to the target area, use the LANTIRN pod to designate the target and drop the bombs just like you would drop laser guided bombs.

You have CCIP and CCRP computer available in the RIO seat. They're not called that, the one is tgt and the other IP or something similar.

CCIP = COMPUTER-PILOT

CCRP = COMPUTER-TARGET (and COMPUTER-IP for a special variant with offsets)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ah yes, those were the two.

Just keep in mind that when using this procedure, the dumb bombs will need to be delivered on target by the intelligence of the pilot. Squeeze the pickle button a fraction too early or too late will result in a miss.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Using the LANTIRN-Pod to designate targets for dumb bombs should work exactly the same as for laser guided bombs.

So, you take off with a bunch of dumb bombs (e.g. Mk82) and a LANTIRN pod, head to the target area, use the LANTIRN pod to designate the target and drop the bombs just like you would drop laser guided bombs.

CCIP = COMPUTER-PILOT

CCRP = COMPUTER-TARGET (and COMPUTER-IP for a special variant with offsets)

Thanks,

(i thought i have tried this in the past and it didn't work...) LET me try this again and I will come back if i have any other issues/questions about it.

thanks, guys

Hi guys

thanks guys!!

As pilot i always use TV camera when attacking with dumb bombs or ZUNI rockets. The camera is always pointed at the point where your IP piper is actualy located. No need for a LANTIRN pod here

Asus Z97-PRO | Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00Ghz | beQuite! PowerZone 650W | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti | Creative E-MU 1616m | Samsung SSD 840 Evo Basic - 1TB | Win10 |

TM Hotas Cougar w. U2nxt + hall sensors | VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro

true!

but the reason why i was asking is that it would give me (RIO) something to do during bombing runs. Wanted to see if there is anything I can do for the pilot to help designate tagets so he can worry about flying

This can’t really work. The pod can’t do ballistics for the dumb bombs. It uses its own ballistics data for LGBs only.

Yes, it uses it's own ballistics data, but for the weapon that is selected on the weapons selector in the RIO pit. Now I don't know how limited the ballistics data in the LANTIRN pod is and what happens if you select Mk82 on the weapon selector. Does it not work?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg