F-14 JTAC - how to?

TheSauvaaage

"Computer - Target" delivery mode and then designate the target visualy through the HUD.

Unless you can point at the mounted laser tracker, you won't have any other option.

okay so basically, the F-14 does not have JTAC capabilities? Because if I have to visually designate the target through the HUD, I dont't need JTAC at all...

Isn't Jester capable of punching in a target coordinate in the flight computer? A JTAC doing a 9-line should have provided you with a coordinate of the target he wants you to hit.

Just have Jester add that to the computer and fly towards it.

As a ST point for steering, yes. But you can basically do that yourself by gathering the coordinates from the mission planner.

If JTAC is mentioned, I assume I can enter the designation code into the consol and receive a specific point in the HUD. Just like in the F-18 or Harrier.

BUT if the F-14 is generally not capable of such operations, fine for me. :)

I was just wondering what advantage I basically get from JTAC. It seems there is none or at least I can't think of any.

JTAC can do several things for you:

Lase a target for GBU

Mark a target with smoke

Give you target coordinates

The F-14 is not capable of:

Laser spot track (unless it is a targeting pod feature I'm unaware of)

HUD designation of a laser mark

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

.... and/or where is the Jester command to enter the code?

as far as i know, the laser code can only be changed on the ground before takeoff in DCS Tomcat

Asus Z97-PRO | Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00Ghz | beQuite! PowerZone 650W | Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti | Creative E-MU 1616m | Samsung SSD 840 Evo Basic - 1TB | Win10 |

TM Hotas Cougar w. U2nxt + hall sensors | VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro

JTAC can do several things for you:

Lase a target for GBU

How do I know when the target is lased?

And once it is, I still have to visually designate it via HUD?

I dont get the point here...

Mark a target with smoke

That is cool! I have to set it in ME I guess?

as far as i know, the laser code can only be changed on the ground before takeoff in DCS Tomcat

From RIO seat only?

How do I know when the target is lased?

And once it is, I still have to visually designate it via HUD?

I dont get the point here...

You need to know where the target is, yes, either by coordinates, smoke, or a predetermined waypoint. The JTAC should inform you that he is lasing. Then you can use pilot or target bombing modes to drop a bomb in the vicinity and it should guide on the laser.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Here's a couple of the more common techniques, when a JTAC is lasing. Without lasing, you really need some sort of visual.... a mark on the deck or a good talk-on.

Edited by Spiceman

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Here's couple of the more common techniques when the JTAC is lasing. If the JTAC isn't lasing, you really need some sort of mark on the deck or a good talk-on.

Edited by Spiceman

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Keep in mind the difference of laser emitting code and laser receive code.

You CAN change the frequency (code) you EMITTING (lase) from you LANTRIN pod in flight.

You can ONLY change the frequency (code) the bombs RECEIVE (guide on), PRE-FLIGHT on kneeboard.

Useally (AI-)JTACs in DCS use 1688 for lasing and if you've changed your bombs pre-flight to something else, they won't guide.

It also seems that you bombs prefere the JTACs lase-spot over your own LANTRIN laser (if on same code), even if they are pretty far apart :-/

Pretty annoying when you're trying to pick out AA systems instead of AI JTACs random pick :-(

A part of NOSIG