Touch Portal App

4 hours ago, xoomigo said:

Yes, I had taken a look at doing the inverter function to reverse the min/max value for certain parameters. It was not a straight-forward change as anticipated earlier. And it will create additional CPU cycles in the processing of each DCS-BIOS event and action - which I fear may impact its performance in lower spec PCs.

Hi, thanks for the update. About the inversion - do you mean that having an inverted value would cost for any other action as well, not only when the slider changes? And if so - only if used or even if added as a feature (minus some if check, perhaps)?

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

On 5/14/2024 at 2:14 PM, virgo47 said:

About the inversion - do you mean that having an inverted value would cost for any other action as well, not only when the slider changes? And if so - only if used or even if added as a feature (minus some if check, perhaps)?

Rough cut answer is yes and yes. Need to build mechanism to "remember" the parameters which requiring inversion. All incoming DCS-BIOS events and outbound actions to DCS-BIOS need to be checked each time against a list to determine whether they require inversion and then perform the inversion if matched. Of course, there can be an initial check on the aircraft parameters being loaded to determine whether any requires inversion and then set a global variable accordingly. If there's none, then the variable will not trigger the logic block to check and perform the inversion.

I thought you no longer need the inverter function in the plugin since you will be working with the DCS-BIOS folks to correct them. No?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, xoomigo said:

Rough cut answer is yes and yes. Need to build mechanism to "remember" the parameters which requiring inversion. All incoming DCS-BIOS events and outbound actions to DCS-BIOS need to be checked each time against a list to determine whether they require inversion and then perform the inversion if matched. Of course, there can be an initial check on the aircraft parameters being loaded to determine whether any requires inversion and then set a global variable accordingly. If there's none, then the variable will not trigger the logic block to check and perform the inversion.

That sounds taxing. Of course this is only for "sliderable" things, that is ctr(...). Not sure how that is handled. Currently, there is no sync from cockpit (you mentioned that caused some performance problems too), so it should only be relevant for outgoing changes. But I don't know the architecture and possibilities, so I'm not sure whether this can be optimized.

BTW: Wouldn't a separate ictr(...) control type help?

3 hours ago, xoomigo said:

I thought you no longer need the inverter function in the plugin since you will be working with the DCS-BIOS folks to correct them. No?

This is the tricky one... so far I only worked on some description fixes - this doesn't break anything. I may also suggest those default switch positions we talked about for L-39, that should also be OK - but for now, please leave the PP file "patches" there. 🙂 But inverting a value - that breaks all existing panels built for UH-1H. Not sure how many people have that. I'll ask how they see it. For what I know the inversion may come all the way from DCS, it wouldn't be the first element that is inverted (wheel brake axes in various planes work opposite for whatever reason).

I had also another idea, to suggest this to TP directly. For them it should be reasonably easy to invert the slider and it should also be efficient enough. The question is what's their backlog and when they get to it, of course.

So, let's not sweat it on your end right now, unless you find some nice and easy solution 😉, and I'll talk to TP guys first on their Discord. Even if it's not done, one can still create those top-to-bottom "inverted" sliders with a hack (inverting the value/background color) - so it's no show stopper.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

On 5/16/2024 at 1:57 PM, virgo47 said:

BTW: Wouldn't a separate ictr(...) control type help?

Perhaps. I will review it again after I am done with my current project.

But inverting a value - that breaks all existing panels built for UH-1H. Not sure how many people have that. I'll ask how they see it. For what I know the inversion may come all the way from DCS, it wouldn't be the first element that is inverted (wheel brake axes in various planes work opposite for whatever reason).

Ah, okay. Missed that. I had assumed that it was an issue for others as well.

I had also another idea, to suggest this to TP directly. For them it should be reasonably easy to invert the slider and it should also be efficient enough. The question is what's their backlog and when they get to it, of course.

So, let's not sweat it on your end right now, unless you find some nice and easy solution 😉, and I'll talk to TP guys first on their Discord. Even if it's not done, one can still create those top-to-bottom "inverted" sliders with a hack (inverting the value/background color) - so it's no show stopper.

Yes, good idea. It will probably be useful for others as well. 🙂

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, xoomigo said:

Perhaps. I will review it again after I am done with my current project.

Ah, okay. Missed that. I had assumed that it was an issue for others as well.

Yes, good idea. It will probably be useful for others as well. 🙂

Thanks for the info. DCS-BIOS profiles don't seem to handle neither axis inversion nor default switch positions. (I may be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any parameter for these.)

So for L-39 (and in the future perhaps other modules), patching/amending/extending DCS-BIOS config with PP files seems to be the only way.

As for the TP-end for slider inversion, the feature request was acknowledged... but god knows when/if that is implemented.

That's just an update from me, no pressure. 😉

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 1