Beware: Joystick setup has curves set as default!

Sporg

When I got the A-8, I was surprised, because it was weirdly slow in it's reactions, compared to the Dora that I also have.

Especially I had to pull the stick all the way to my chair just to pull a little up.

After getting annoyed by that, and investigating, I found the cause:

The A-8 is set up with joystick curves as default!

Curve is set to 15 on both X- and Y-axis, and deadzone at 3.

After setting curve and deadzone to 0, like I have it on the Dora, I got a whole other aircraft: Swift and agile, once it's up to speed.

Now it feels properly like Dora's little brother: Fast and agile, a better turner, but with less power in the engine.

A much more fun aircraft, no longer feeling like stuck in rubber.

I recommend very much to check your axis settings, and see if you have the same.

My setup is Warthog HOTAS, the default setup might not be the same for other controllers.

A second thing: The aircraft, including in missions, comes set up with bomb rack as default.

It can be removed in mission editor, and I recommend to do this: It gives better speed, but above all better trim.

(Btw., it also looks a little silly in the accompanying bomber intercept mission: I doubt the Germans would send up fighters with bomb rack to intercept high flying bombers. ;) )

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Seems to be only the warthog.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Noticed too. Probably they thought it'd be a bit too much sensitive for most regular devices and did that way. But I use a long stick and always check controls whenever I get a new module. Setted straight input and it's fine for me, but long stick you know.

A second thing: The aircraft, including in missions, comes set up with bomb rack as default.
It was like that in the real aircraft. Just if you happen to fill the rear fuel tank make sure you still have the rack, apparently handling becomes a bit awkward without it due to CoG.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Noticed too. Probably they thought it'd be a bit too much sensitive for most regular devices and did that way. But I use a long stick and always check controls whenever I get a new module. Setted straight input and it's fine for me, but long stick you know.

S!

I use an extension too.

But I never used curves, even before using extension.

Before, all modules had been set with 0 curve as default, so I didn't check this time.

But I guess I'll have to in the future.

FWIW, a number of people in a group I'm member of were happy to get informed, they had also felt the aircraft was sluggish in its behaviour.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Seems to be only the warthog.

Thanks, good to get confirmed.

Which stick do you use?

System specs:

FFB2

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I had curves present for my T-16000M. It even had a dead zone. Ugh. Removed both curves and deadzone for all axis, it flies beautifully now, thanks OP?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria