Interface between dumb bombs and the aircraft.

Harker

On the Stores page, you can set the fuzing for dumb bombs (Mk-80 series) and it'll actually take effect. My question is, since the bombs lack a communication interface, how can the pilot choose the fuze options himself?

Or is this not true IRL and the the bombs are fully configured on the ground?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You can’t physically change the fusing on bombs in flight, it has to be done by the weapons crews on the ground. The pilot simply sets the aircraft to match the weapons.

The exception being joint programmable fuse etc of smart weapons with a data connection to the aircraft.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You can’t physically change the fusing on bombs in flight, it has to be done by the weapons crews on the ground. The pilot simply sets the aircraft to match the weapons.

The exception being joint programmable fuse etc of smart weapons with a data connection to the aircraft.

Indeed. In addition, my question is what the significance of the pilot choosing/specifying between an electric instantaneous vs. delayed fuze in the SMS? Does the jet care? It’s not as if the ballistics will be affected by a timer function on a FMU-140 tail fuze?

Always been unsure of this one.....

Yep, used to both drive abort cues and select which arming wire(s) is pulled on weapon release.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

So the fact that we can actually set Instant or Delayed EFUZ in-flight and the bombs actually detonate instantly or with a delay respectively, is unrealistic, correct?

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Yep, used to both drive abort cues and select which arming wire(s) is pulled on weapon release.

Ahh Ok. Abort cues makes sense. Thanks.

So the fact that we can actually set Instant or Delayed EFUZ in-flight and the bombs actually detonate instantly or with a delay respectively, is unrealistic, correct?

I believe so. Would be great if we could configure fuzing options on the loadout screen. Same goes for laser codes......

I believe ED plans to model the JPF and DSU-33 airburst for JDAMS. Will be interesting to see how they get loaded/optioned?

(Seeing the old M904 mech nose fuze on a JDAM is just wrong)

Is the latter (arming wire) related to the MFUZ?

-