Harpoon FLT Altitude Vs Search Altitude

AvroLanc

I appreciate Harpoon is WIP, but I think there's conflict in the current implementation between FLT altitude and the possible 'Search' Altitude.

Currently the missile will fly out at HIGH, MED or LOW. It will then enable it's radar and search according to the 'SRCH distance. The radar seeker seems to have a range of 10nm from my observations.

Upon target detection, the missile will attempt to descend down to a sea skimming approach.... and if FLT is set to MED or HIGH, will miss due to being far too high at the 10nm seeker activation point.

A 30000ft (or even 15000ft) FLT alt is far too high if the seeker range is 10nm.

Common sense would suggest Harpoon should decend to a lower altitude upon reaching the SEARCH range setting. If a 10nm seeker is used, a radar horizon of 10nm could be achieved with a height of just over 66ft......

This would generate a much more sensible (realistic?) 3 phase profile. FLT alt, Seach alt, and Terminal alt.

• 2 weeks later...

It would makes sense indeed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.