Mission Editor's file browser doesn't see mission

Grifter

HI,

I was nearly finished creating a mission in the Mission Editor. I normally save every five minutes or so, and then create a backup. I was about to create the backup, actually. I saved the file but the ME wouldn't close. I shut DCS down and when I came back in, the ME file browser does not see the mission even though it's present in the folder in the Windows 10 File Browser. I tried making copies and opening them, but the ME doesn't see any of them. The file seems to be corrupted. Any way I can open it? It be a shame to lose all that work. Thanks.

Grifter-RLG

HI,

I was nearly finished creating a mission in the Mission Editor. I normally save every five minutes or so, and then create a backup. I was about to create the backup, actually.

I saved the file but the ME wouldn't close. I shut DCS down and when I came back in, the ME file browser does not see the mission even though it's present in the folder in the Windows 10 File Browser. I tried making copies and opening them, but the ME doesn't see any of them.

The file seems to be corrupted. Any way I can open it? It be a shame to lose all that work.

If the editor locks up on saving a mission, it is almost guaranteed to corrupt the missions file, check your DCS.log and you will see lua faults most likely.

Once mission is corrupt, there is little to no chance of reserrecting it as the damage will be extensive, this is why I make a new revision of the same mission, one for each big change I do, usually have 2 or 3 revisions at any one time, so if something goes wrong I can fall back on the back up copies and redo just the last changes before save failure. Once mission is done and working it is backed up to Dropbox for yet another form of backup.

If you have no backup of the faulty mission, the only last resort to get the mission back, and this has to be done before you run any more missions with DCS, and that is to grab the tempMission.miz file (This is the last run mission that DCS creates each time it runs a mission successfully) from the DCS temp folder and copy / rename it to a backup filename of your original mission and use that from this point on.

IE: DCS.log Extract

2019-09-05 12:01:38.529 INFO Dispatcher: loadMission D:\[Temp Storage]\DCS.openbeta\tempMission.miz

2019-09-05 12:01:38.529 INFO WORLDGENERAL: loading mission from: "D:\[Temp Storage]\DCS.openbeta\tempMission.miz"

Good luck with it.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Ah that’s a bummer. I normally crest backups as I go but I was in such a tear I hadn’t done so. I was, in fact, saving the mission to then make a copies as a backup! Dang it. Guess I’ll start over then. Thanks for the info; this the first time this has ever happened to me with the ME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah that’s a bummer. I normally crest backups as I go but I was in such a tear I hadn’t done so. I was, in fact, saving the mission to then make a copies as a backup! Dang it. Guess I’ll start over then. Thanks for the info; this the first time this has ever happened to me with the ME.

Your welcome, shame you can't recover it.

Would seem that the Mission Editor is a tad more unreliable in resent months as I have been seeing more users creating very corrupted missions, in lots of different ways, even if missions load, lots of dictionary errors and other lua errors. I myself have been bitten a few times with corruptions hence why I backup, backup and backup.

Cheers.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I use another approach, using mklink to place the Missions folder on a cloud drive that has versioning capability:

oPTbvOh.jpg

This way I can recover to any point in time and save disk space on my SSD drive by having just a single copy of each mission.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB